Writing for Requests ?

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Karbyn

Writing for Requests ?

Post by Karbyn »

I wonder how many people out there are writing for requests as a regular thing, as compared to writing about whatever you have selected on your own?

It seems like there are a lot of requests available, and if I could improve my skills in writing for requests, that seems a good way to generate some steady income.

However, so many of the requests seem to me to be either 1) kind of spammy (so I'm not even sure if they are real requests or not) or 2) awfully complicated, so between those two issues, it seems harder than I had expected it would be to achieve the goal. And, how does the editorial review process work, for requests? If I submit for a request, but it then takes a week or more to get through review (and it might not even be accepted on the first try, of course), I might miss the chance for submitting to that request, after all . . . . . does the article just stay up in your library anyway, so someone else can purchase it later?

Perhaps it's just because "writing for requests" is a new thing for me that it seems to feel difficult and complicated?

anyway, I was just curious about how the writing for requests experience has been for others?

Thanks.
tayalltheway

Re: Writing for Requests ?

Post by tayalltheway »

I've written solely for requests for about the last six months. But I also only do private requests at this point now that I've built up a decent client base. When I've done pool requests in the past, though, the process has always been relatively easy.

The review process is much, much faster. Usually these articles get accepted within 1-2 hours. If the client passes on them, it can be difficult to get them released back out into the public pool. I've had occasions where it's taken a couple months before they are finally made non-exclusive.
Karbyn

Post by Karbyn »

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to get a broader picture of how the process works, for writing for requests.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I've done some private requests, but the pools don't seem to have the topics I can write. I stick to topics I know, because I think that's the only way to maximize profits for the pay.

The editing times seem to be slow right now, and I assume they are working through the bugs. When things are running smoothly, I actually think the open market is more profitable. But that's just me. I've made it my resolution this year to raise prices and be more picky about the jobs I take. I've been pretty "meh" when I see the open pool topics.

Ultimately, you should write whatever you want, puts food on your table, and doesn't drag you down.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I'm interested in hearing what other people do, too.

I write private requests sent to My Projects for me to claim. I do 6 regular monthly articles for one buyer, and the others are for a different buyer who has a bunch of us here in a writer pool, and she sends us each the ones she wants us to do. I haven't written for the general catalogue for more than a year, but I have done a couple of public requests when work slowed down. They weren't bought but ended up in the catalogue. I think some sold later on.
Abbamay

Post by Abbamay »

I forgot to say the review times are amazingly fast for private requests. Within a few hours usually, and sometimes within a few minutes.