New Section "Premium Articles"

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Ed

Post by Ed »

I see a lot of publishers who want sophisticated content that expresses expertise and strong voice/authority in general This section is to give customers who are looking for that type of content the opportunity to see that our authors can provide it. Up until now, those articles have gotten lost in the shuffle, and it can seems to the first-time customer like we only sell shorter articles written for a general web audience that "regurgitate" information that already exists in myriad similar forms.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

dsletten, I'd just write what you enjoy writing about and explore the topic in greater detail at this point rather than trying to guess what's going to be the hot topic for premuim content. Hopefully we can build a library of diverse content and start seeing a new breed of customer requests :) Good luck!

I'm anxious to see the articles that get profiled in this section.
audrabianca

Dear Ed

Post by audrabianca »

Dear Ed,

I read all of the posts in this thread. Last night I submitted an article targeted potentially for the premium section. Please let me know here in the forum if this is closer to what you have in mind for Premium articles even if my article does not make the cut. If I feel I am on the right track, then I can keep polishing my articles to make the cut. I am a type who can churn out longer articles with no problem if I can see examples. The paper writing strength comes after many years of graduate school. I am up to the challenge with a bit of guidance. I understand that feature writing is different than paper writing for grad school, but you can apply the same skills and advanced writing style. You just have to change the format to be less academic and more like maagazine features while still showing a voice that is informative and has broad appeal to readers.
Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Whew! I'm being put through my pace! This is great.

Audrabianca - the 1200-word article you submitted *is* on the right track, but try to focus on avoiding vague descriptions. Instead of saying "many" or "few" or "a variety," give examples. Examples can turn articles from dull to dazzling. Readers need to see how the information can apply to their situations - they don't want to have to do the work the author should be doing for them. Does this help?

Ed
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

Yes, your comments do help. Thanks for the specifics in the rejection email too. I haven't gotten rejected for awhile so I needed a dose. I just had to adjust a little because I've never been called vague before. In fact IRL I talk too much and explain too much. I am a victim of the phrase - "Hurry up and get to the point." *smiles*

As for you being put through the trenches, Ed, there is a saying. Be careful what you wish for. If Premium articles was your idea, I think you are in for more work. If it was Constant's idea, then thanks to him because it is a great one. Cross your fingers that our buyers agree. I bet there are probably quite a few authors besides me who feel qualified to rise to this challenge. So look out, Ed! You might need to change from coffee to energy drinks. :P :

Oh, and for those of you who read the other post about the payments in December, here is my other comment to Chris. Some of us do have business hours and these wacky e-business hours as well. I work a full day and then come home and write late at night and early morning on weekends.
Celeste Stewart

Actually, If everyone is trying for premium content, it might mean LESS work for Ed because we're all challenging ourselves to produce more polished pieces.....

It's fun to see who's trying by checking the Recent Articles section. I enjoyed Denise Karson's Fight the Cold or Flu Like a Warrior article (or at least the long summary of it) and Gigi's (Grouchy?) article about dealing with the press. Of course, we're not writing to entertain each other but it's still fun :)

Let's keep pushing our limits!
Ed

Post by Ed »

I knew it would be more work for me when I suggested it. I'm certainly not afraid of work, especially if it means we're capturing a certain segment of the market. The only thing that I fear is writers becoming complacent, then pestering me when their work doesn't get chosen for the Premium category. This happens sometimes with rejections. "Look, I added a comma in the sentence you gave as an example for why I need to revise. Now can't you accept my article?"

I've gone through some existing articles in topics that I think might garner some Premium-quality pieces. However, lots of articles don't deliver in every way. The information might be there, but the writing might be haphazard. Misused semicolons, gross lack of commas where necessary, awkward sentences, and snore-worthy introductions can kill an article's chance . . . and they have. Articles that pass the general CC review process might not be of Premium quality. (If I rejected for every minor error, the acceptance rate would be much smaller than it is now.) The Premium category has a much higher standard than the general acceptance standard here at CC.

Basically, I see a lot of articles on topics that I am not interested in. I try not to be biased - admittedly, I like travel writing and food writing and writing about other topics that interest me. If you can interest me with a well-developed article about management, weddings, or babysitting, you're really on to something!

I have noticed how the quality has improved and the average article length has been stretched. This is a beautiful thing to witness. What makes it difficult for me is that I have to consider if the article, when it is of generally higher quality than other articles, is high enough quality to fit into the Premium category. *I* don't want to be the one who becomes complacent.

(That's why I don't work in an office any more. Too much complacency.)

Many writers here can write Premium-quality articles just by slowing down and proofreading their work . . . and even waiting a day or two before submitting. I'm really enjoying reading the recent submissions. If I were using a pen, you'd all get smiley faces. I'm also glad you read each other's work. I know I'll be somewhat on the spot when the Premium Articles become visible, but I think you'll all be impressed with the breadth and scope of the talent here.

Ed
Celeste Stewart

A smiley face from Ed is worth its weight in gold!
Ed

Post by Ed »

You just made me laugh, so you get two!
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

Dear Ed,

Has Constant given an indication about when the premium picks will go live/

p.s. I've been adding more anecdotes and funny stories to mine. I hope you've been enjoying those. I want to find more time to read others' writings as well.
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

There seems to be two ways to look at standards for premium articles: 1) a base standard for the category; and 2) a micro-standard beyond that for individual authors.

The premium category sets a goal for all of us to aspire and improve. I’m comfortable with your judgment because quality is subjective. With a base standard, I'd know what I have to do to be considered for the premium category.

My work then gets compared to my work – not another writer’s. You might kick one of my stories back to the regular category because you know it isn't as good as *I* can do. I hope that makes sense.

The only concern I have is length. Longer isn’t always better. Sometimes ‘better’ is a writer’s ability to detach and tighten it up or cut out tangents that dilute the message.

Again, I trust your judgment. :)
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

Dear Ed,

I really like that you are raising the bar, trying to motivate us all to improve our work. Terrific job, editor.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Cyndy, you are giving away all my secrets. First you tell everyone that I'm human, and now this! You're right, though - quality is subjective.

I agree, too, that longer articles aren't necessarily better, but the Premium category is something like a showcase. This is a place where customers can really see what everyone can do. For example, if a customer asks to see an example of an author's existing body of work, an article in the Premium category would be the best place to point them. If a writer can deliver a longer piece that exhibits the qualities they are seeking, that the writer can produce a shorter piece in the same vein is a given.

I'm glad that this category is being given a positive reception. My goal here has always been to increase quality - or to increase the number of high quality articles available.

One thing to think about is the idea that the Google algorithm may be developing towards capturing more "natural" sounding content rather than relying upon keywords or keyword phrases to rank pages. So in the future, we may get more customers searching for simply very informational, well-written articles on certain topics.

Ed
audrabianca

To Ed

Post by audrabianca »

So, Ed, do you think I made the cut?

Phew.... *wipes brow*
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yeah. Those adjustments you made really smoothed everything out! I didn't have any questions as I was reading. And if I had, the hypothetical situations would have answered them.