New Section "Premium Articles"

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

constant-content
Site Admin

New Section "Premium Articles"

Post by constant-content »

Premium Articles are in-depth, high-quality articles that showcase our writers' best talent. They will be hand picked by our editors. Normally these will be longer then others and contain in-depth coverage of topics.

If you think one or more of your articles fits this category please let us know. Ed can answer more questions regarding this new category.

Please do not be offended if your articles are not listed.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hi Writers,

This new addition came about because some of you do craft exceptional, longer articles with original slants, but these articles get buried under shorter articles that may focus more broadly on certain topics. We want customers to know that we offer all kinds of content for a variety of needs.

The articles that have come through the queue that fit the "Premium Article" standard are usually articles written on spec, articles that are completely free of errors, awkward wording, or organization problems, and articles that provide unique angles about a topic or information about unusual topics (about which the author might have particular interest or passion).

These are articles that might be appropriate for well-respected print publications, high-end web magazines, or publications for certain topics that require an erudite approach.

Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I would hope they also come with a premium price tag? :D

I look forward to seeing what you guys profile here.
Last edited by Celeste Stewart on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Understandably, these articles *should* command higher price tags. But it's up to the author. I always cringe when I see a very good, very developed article going for less than it should.

Ed
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I see that we can submit specifically to the premium category but is that required? If you see an awesome article, will you move it to the premium content? Will it be featured in both the appropriate category such as gardening or whatever as well as premium? Just curious.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Articles should be placed in an appropriate category first. If it fits "Premium," I'll place it there as well. Articles should not be submitted directly to the Premium category.
audrabianca

question

Post by audrabianca »

Are you going to be going through some of the existing articles and selecting them for the Premium category? I have published over 300 articles, and I know of a select group that I spent a lot of time on that might fit well in this category. Not to sound pompous, but I rarely get rejected for those types of errors mentioned in Ed's post.

Another question. Constant made a reference to editors. Do we have any other editors besides Ed? I haven't seen any posts from Potato Head for a long time.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I'm really looking for articles with strong voice, not articles that are just free of errors. Articles for this category should be interesting reading, as well contain useful information.

Ideally, articles would be 1200 - 1500 words or longer and contain surprising, well-developed, or little-known information. In the web writing world, we do a lot of "regurgitation." Articles for this category should display unique takes on their subjects and seem authoritative. The voice should be unique and interesting.

I have chosen some articles that I think will stand as good examples. Unfortunately, they aren't displaying under the category yet. I would be happy to explain exactly why these articles were chosen and offer advice to those who want to step up their writing.

Of course, my way of thinking goes that every piece of writing can be improved - whether you're a first grader or Nabokov. So authors may disagree with article choices. For example, one article chosen is mayb be considered top heavy, but the second paragraph contains an intriguing "hook" that got me reading more, and the rest of the article continues in on that vein. Another article seems plain Jane at first glance, but the sentence structure varies so the writing sounds refreshingly natural, the presentation of the topic shows that the author has given forethought to what questions a reader might hve about the topic. In addition, it is just about as error free as you'll get on Constant Content.

I hope this turns into a healthy challenge for writers. Writers need to always question what word they put in front of the other, whether a comma will add or detract from the flow of a sentence, and how they can set themselves apart from other writers - not necessarily because they're "better," but because they know how to successfully use language to convey messages, ideas, or information in ways that get their writing noticed.

Ed
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

Dear Ed,

Thanks for the explanation. And what about my question regarding the editors?
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yeah, I know. I was thinking about how to answer your question about how many editors there are. I'm more-or-less full time, so we only pull in Potatohead when things get rough. Generally, there's just me. Referring to myself as "the editor" sounds stupidly authoritarian, so I avoid it. And, really, sometimes I feel like more than one editor because of all the stuff I do that the writers don't necessarily see.
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

Well, I think that I speak for many regular writers here when I say that you do a fabulous job given all the conditions of the business operation. And, depending on how much coffee you've had, you sometimes seem like different people. Or just a different side of you is reacting to the submissions that day. :)

And one other thing has been bothering me for six months. Is "Ed" your name or is that just an abbreviation for Editor?

Oh, and I reviewed all my articles, I don't think any of them are long enough to fit into premium. I guess I never focused on those long articles because they don't sell well here. Maybe that will change.

Angela
Ed

Post by Ed »

Actually, some authors have just submitted some longer, more developed articles that are priced according to our pricing suggestions. This was the visual equivalent of "music to my ears" (whatever the heck that is). I understand that shorter, less expensive articles may sell more frequently, but there is a market for these articles. There really should be more submissions like this on a daily/weekly basis because customers need to know that writers can produce this kind of content - and that it exists for purchase.

Tomorrow morning another blog entry about "voice" will appear. In lieu of the Premium Articles being visible, hopefully this will describe more accurately what qualities these sorts of articles should offer. I have great confidence that, if writers challenge themselves to write in a more sophisticated manner than what is currently the norm on the web, then we will have a solid Premium Articles section that will really showcase author's flexibility.

Honestly, as an editor who may see over 100 articles in a day, I do get tired of the stock introductory sentences. "There are many different ways to decorate your living room." "When buying a dog suitable for families with small children, there is a variety of breeds to choose from." While okay for basic, informative articles, these types of introductions are snore-worthy. It's a challenge to break out of the formula. Though we *are* using one of the most descriptive languages on the planet with a vocabulary that transcends time and continents.

While articles that are along the lines of features in "Harper's," "The New Yorker," "Slate.com" or even "Vanity Fair" or "Vogue," may be better sent to publications such as those, these magazines are good places to look for clever connections, interesting turns of phrase, really meaty information, and creative introductions. Slate.com is one of my favorites - even their headlines and subheadings are eye-catching, witty, and descriptive. From "The Explainer" to anything by Seth Stevenson, these articles are fun to read, but still informative.

I've rattled on long enough. As for my name, I'm just Ed. I try not to reveal any personality disorders, too, but I think it was Cyndy Hardy who acknowledged that we may show different sides depending upon a myriad of factors.
audrabianca

blog

Post by audrabianca »

Dear Ed,

I know you said above to check out the blog on Voice. I read it, and I am still not clear about what you are looking for to place in the Premium section. I already generally knew this stuff about the differences between the various styles of writing, but I want to spend some more time preparing articles for the Premium section.

Up above, you also referred to some authors already submitting to the pricing guidelines recommended by CC. Are you referring to the pricing guide that we've always had or has it been updated?
Ed

Post by Ed »

The pricing suggestions are still the same. I just think it's a shame when authors undersell themselves. Sometimes, pricing an article for quick sale is necessary, but other times, authors are just kicking themselves when they offer longer, well-written articles for a fraction of what they could be asking.

Actually, I was referring to Sunday's post about voice. If the general idea is still unclear, I'll post links to examples.
dsletten

Post by dsletten »

Hi Ed,
The new "Premium" article section sounds like a great idea but I do have a question or two. Are there any markets in particular that you know of that are interested in these types of articles? Have you had requests from certain markets that haven't been able to find this type of quality article on the site? I don't mean for you to give names but I'm curious if you have any idea what subjects would be good for these articles. Example: parenting, home improvement, health, education, etc.