New Section "Premium Articles"

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

Ed,

Thanks for your help. I am a success and never to be called vague again!

*Smiles*

Per your post above, we now know that you are not particularly fond of business articles. I guess that stinks for you because I've been writing dozens of those over the past couple of months. Sorry!
audrabianca

comment

Post by audrabianca »

Well, if CC ever becomes a corporate giant with a big staff, you have some ideas for getting people to be creative. I would be available to lead the HR department for a very high salary. (I was partially kidding).

I am like some of the others probably writing on here, not regularly employed but looking for work. In a way, CC is helping my spouse and I stay afloat. Now if I could just make enough for a car payment.

Now, I need someone to write an article about how to get your Premium Article published on Constant Content. Seriously!

P.S. The first lines should be: "Be prepared for blood, sweat, and tears! What to do when your editor is a task master who hates business articles!"
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hahah. No, it's good for me. One reason I like this job is because I learn loads of new information every day. And these articles are highly marketable, yes? It seems like these articles appear frequenty on the "most recently sold articles" list?

This is one reason I think CC works . . . we have a lot of diverse experience, knowledge, and talent.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

I've been following this thread with great interest, because a category for PAs seems like such a great idea. Some of the questions & answers have been extremely helpful, and the whole concept comes into clearer focus with each exchange.

Something is troubling me a little bit, and I think it has to do with the length component. I agree with Cyndy and Ed that longer doesn't always mean better. I would guess that *some* of the writers who are reading this thread may come away with the idea that they just have to make their articles longer so they qualify as PAs; this is based on the assumption that CC writers are confident they are already submitting their *best* work.

If I'm surmising correctly, the more important consideration is the topic. The more complicated (for lack of a better word) it is, the more explanation and/or description and/or elaboration it requires. To use one of Ed's favorite topics, an article for child care providers on how to keep little kids busy during the day doesn't warrant a lengthy article. However, if one wrote an article on the long-term effects of day care on children, for example, the article would of necessity be longer. Maybe the distinction is "authentic" length vs. "artificial" length.

I have written a couple long articles inadvertently, and will likely do more. I just start writing on my topic according to a mental outline and when I think I've gotten down what I wanted to say, and done all the proofing and polishing, then--and only then--do I check the word count. It is what it is.

This is why I loathe word count minimums. You say what you need to say and then stop. At "the other site," if it isn't 400 words, you're just s-o-l. Contributors padding their words to get to the minimum is one (and only one) of the reasons some articles there, um, sock.

My most recent article was, indeed, long, but that had nothing to do with trying to meet any goal. If an article is classified as PA, that's great, and I'll feel good about it. If not, I already know I'm doing my best and my attitude is "c'est la vie." My true goals are internal. Because above all, I write for myself. It's cheaper than therapy. :wink:
audrabianca

response

Post by audrabianca »

Yes, the business articles are marketable on a regular basis. There are quite a few writers publishing them. I've probably written 5 times more business articles than I've sold. The hottest were the housing articles.

As for me, I do not claim to have any talent or knowledge in my field. I got a graduate degree and couldn't find a job in the field. Part of this situation has to do with graduating in the middle of the economic slump.

All I can claim is that I like to write about the field that I hope to work in.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Authentic versus Artificial is the key - Ed knows the difference between a tightly written piece and fluff and he appreciates original thought as I believe we all do. So, I don't think we have to worry about length too much. You won't see wordy articles in the PA section with phrases like: "of course there are a variety of things"
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

I wasn't thinking of Ed when I said that - I have an extreme amount of respect for h/h judgment.

I'm really concerned more about some writers focusing on the word count description, submitting their expanded articles, and then becoming frustrated and even rude when they don't make the cut (OK, here I was thinking about Ed). That's all. It's kind of like when writers question rejections for grammar and punctuation errors and their post is filled with errors. Knowwhatimean? Some just don't get it, esp. those who have been spoiled--and misled--by sites that have no or low standards.
Celeste Stewart

Gotcha!

You're right; many writers think that since they are "published" they don't need to polish their work or fine tune their craft.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

YES!

A-bloomin-men.
dsletten

Post by dsletten »

I agree with Grouchy's earlier post about word count and quality. If I think a particular subject needs to be explained thoroughly then it doesn't matter to me what the word count is. The reason I am intrigued by the new Premium section is that this means, to me, that there are customers out there who are looking for more "meaty" articles - not just quickie web site material. So now I can consider writing some articles that I haven't bothered with because I wasn't sure if there was a market for them here or not. If they end up in the Premium section, great - if not that's fine too. The point isn't to compete for a Premium spot but to write articles that customers will want. I look forward to writing more involved articles on subjects I enjoy. :)
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

This is why I get so worked up about fees.

The only professional education and training I have is from working the city beat for two years. I'm not the best writer out there, but I take a lot of pride in learning the craft.

I know I'm good enough to charge in the middle third of industry scale. I don't know how to compete with writers who are just as good or better than me who settle for much less than that.

While I don't expect every one of my stories to land in premium, I do feel it will be a good tool to educate the buyers. "Premium" sets a higher expectation -- not just of quality -- but for how buyers will consider payment.

I'm okay with CC's fees but buyers have to expect the same kind of pass-through we all get in any other service. It's the cost of doing business and, right or wrong, it gets passed to the consumer.

I'm also hoping writers will see what they should be charging (my not-so-humble opinion, of course) and that the equity will trickle down to the regular category.

We'd all win. Even the buyer. Because CC -- and I mean the writers, too -- is the best out of any other site I've looked at or written for. We need to stop selling Cadillacs at Ford prices.
Celeste Stewart

Unfortunately, the buyer sets the sales price. You can wow Ed and have the ultimate article priced at what you think it's worth but if no buyers are willing to pay the price, you've only just wowed Ed.

As of right now, the majority of CC's buyers go for the more affordable pieces. I'm sure once the Premium Content section is up and running with a terrific selection of articles, the marketing engine at CC will get busy marketing this new feature to higher-end buyers.

In the meantime, I plan on continuing business as usual and pushing myself to improve my overall output so I'll be ready when the new market arrives. But if it doesn't (it will) I'll still have happy customers and I will have improved my writing for my efforts.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

Cyndy, I completely agree with you about pricing. I used to subscribe to a couple other similar kinds of sites, and finally gave up because other writers would come in and almost prostitute themselves to make a sale. That's just wrong.

Here, I won't lowball my stuff--and lowball is a relative term, i.e., as it compares to other good writers' prices--but I'm also not quite pricing it at what I think it's worth. (Nor will I EVER choose "best offer.") I hope to sell my articles at a certain price point and then, if my name becomes synonymous with excellence, like some others' here, I will raise my prices. It's like boiling a frog - if you throw it in boiling water, it will protest; if you put it in cool water and gradually increase the heat, it won't know it's slowly being cooked.

I'm sure others may disagree with me, but if I were shopping for articles, I don't think I would consider one of yours, EVEN THOUGH IT'S VERY GOOD, because a buyer knows you're new to CC (even though you may have come from Random House!) and may think you don't quite "get it" yet. And this buyer can see other articles that are as high quality as yours but aren't so pricey. It's all perception.

Anyone else know what I mean and agree or disagree?

p.s. As my dad used to say, a thing is worth what the market will pay for it.
Cyndy Hardy

Post by Cyndy Hardy »

I feel like the frog in the hot water. Both of you have helped pour a little cool water into the pot. Thank you.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

p.s. Celeste, I wasn't trying to one-up you - we were both writing at the same time. :oops: