New Requested Content

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks for sharing that feedback.

Customers who are willing to give constructive feedback are really valuable. Some know what they want but don't know how to expain it - others just don't have time to respond.
jwatkins

Post by jwatkins »

As Celeste stated, the magazine is willing to pay .10 per word. I submitted an article to them and recieved a message stating" The content of your submission falls well into the context of our editorial themes, however, I am looking for more specific and detailed \"how to\" pieces. " This was a how to piece but not that specific. Keep this in mind as your write your articles. Good luck.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Mine didn't make the cut either. The first was more general about speaking skills which I knew might not address the pastor audience enough but would appeal to a wider audience; the other was specifically addressed to pastors dealing with sermons which will be harder to find a home but not impossible.

I do appreciate finding out within hours of submission because now I can pull the sermon article, grab my Writer's Market book, find a similar magazine, and go from there -- if the mood so strikes me.
jwatkins

Post by jwatkins »

Also, as Ed stated in an earlier post, this is a print magazine and the style is different than our normal CC writing. Hopefully the writers will take it up a notch and they will purchase from CC and stick around. I'm afraid if the normal run and gun articles get submitted too much that they will turn and run. It is great that they are coming to CC for articles instead of going through the grueling submission processes of other magazines.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I think the default should be done away with, as well.
Kat DeLong

Post by Kat DeLong »

Yes, yes, default be gone!

Ed, the requests lately have been very specialized and I personally didn't think I could do a good job - or resell them if they were rejected by the customer. I do like the "Called" price point though.

I know that LifeScript is getting ready to gear back up again after a short break - I have a feeling you'll be busy again in a couple of weeks.
topdycke

Post by topdycke »

Good Evening,

I just wanted to let Constant and Ed know that I was not receiving public requests until the last couple days, but they are late. I received a request this morning dated November 26th. I have a yahoo account and I'm not sure if it's just yahoo or what. Unfortunately, I've missed out on some juicy requests.

C'est la vie.
JD

Post by JD »

I've got a Yahoo! account and my request notices are also coming in late. Am always checking the relevant category on the site though, so not a major problem.

JD
Celeste Stewart

The editor at Called gave me permission to post these guidelines that she shared with me yesterday. They help clarify exactly what they are looking for. Here you go!
Payment
$0.10 per word. Pays on publication.

Rights
First World-Wide Serial Rights.

Our Style
CALLED is sophisticated and practical. We provide reliable information on marketing a church at all stages of its development, managing and growing organizational finances, nurturing a start-up congregation, and effectively tackling all nuances affiliated with "everyday" ministry.

Most importantly, CALLED does not forget about the reader herself. Our magazine equips female pastors with the inspiration they need to be all that God has called them to be-while never losing sight of their needs, beauty, and worth as women-inside and out.

The pages of our 4-color, high gloss, quarterly publication are saturated with articles that equally inform, entertain, and spiritually uplift. CALLED is more than just a magazine. It is a ministry to the minister-an oasis that rejuvenates--a navigating source for the spiritual navigator-and a community of sisterhood for female pastors.

Editorial Sections
►HER ANOINTING - this editorial feature profiles a female pastor whose journey, challenges, and successes serve as a source of inspiration and insight for other female pastors.

Editorial submissions should be 1500-2000 words in length, and be written in an interview format. Photos must accompany submissions.

►EVERYDAY MINISTRY- this editorial is a resource to readers. It provides female pastors with "how to" information that assists them in ministering to their flock. Editorial themes cover a broad range of topics such as Biblical counseling; ministering to men; developing, appointing, and supporting church leadership; overcoming social stigmas associated with being a female pastor; handling church conflicts; and choosing a spiritual covering.

Editorial submissions should be 500-750 words in length.

►FASHION - CALLED readers are fashionable. Our magazine is laced with the latest fashion designs, and offers tips on making affordable and trendy purchases. Fashion editorials offer suggestions on clothing, shoes, and accessories.

Editorial submissions should be 300-500 words in length.

Photos must accompany submissions. Pictures can be color or B/W, print, or in digital form.

►MARRIAGE - CALLED provides female pastors with expert advice that enables them to establish and maintain successful marriages. Featured articles answer vital questions pertaining to: balancing the roles of wife and pastor; honoring husbands as the head of a "female-pastor household"; defining the role of a "first gentleman"; and growing in Godly verbal and sexual intimacy.

►HEALTH - the responsibilities of a female pastor can be strenuous on her physical body. This section of the magazine helps readers minimize stress and maximize physical well-being.

Editorial submissions should be 500 words in length.

►CHURCH FINANCES - this section of the magazine enables female pastors to be wise stewards and investors of their church's financial resources.

►CHURCH MARKETING - effective marketing is essential to growing a church, and positioning it as a community resource. This editorial profiles innovative marketing advice that assists readers in reaching their organizational goals.

►SPIRIT & SOUL - this section of the magazine ministers to the "simply human" side of female pastors by speaking to their insecurities, fears, emotions, dreams, and ambitions. These articles reflect the heart of ministry-ministering to the minister.

►START-UPS - new churches face unique milestones that require special counsel. CALLED provides this support. Our articles cover every nuance affiliated with start-up churches-from complying with the IRS-to writing a ministerial mission and ordering church furniture.

►BEAUTY - editorials cover the latest beauty treatments and products that maximize healthy skin, hair, and nails.

Editorial submissions should be 300 words in length.

►REPLENISH - every female pastor needs to be replenished. This section of the magazine features "simple-getaways" that allow readers to rejuvenate themselves. Features may provide innovative ways of escaping on little or no budget, or profile recommended spas, resorts, and other "getaway" ideas.

►HOME & FAMILY - these editorials assist female pastors in being effective and compassionate women of their homes and families. Articles address creative ways of parenting and managing the responsibilities of their home-life, while serving as powerful visionaries for their churches.

►LEADING SINGLE - there are unique challenges and joys that are exclusive to single, female pastors. CALLED empowers readers to maximize the joys, as well as overcome the ministerial and personal challenges. Editorials vacillate in style. Sometimes they are uplifting-yet at other times, they are instructional, testimonial, and occasionally humorous.

►ON THE ROAD - many pastors operate in other ministerial offices that require them to occasionally be on the road. This section of the magazine assists readers in tackling these multiple responsibilities, simplifying the traveling experience, and overseeing the everyday ministry of their church when they are on the road.

grouchy

Post by grouchy »

Celeste - you are a rock star. I've wanted to write something but was totally clueless where to even start. Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic information! It was very selfless of you to do this.
Celeste Stewart

Hey, I want good customers to hang around and I know together all of us can provide an excellent service, especially if we know what they need. I had no choice but to share :)