Possible Unique license change

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

KatYares wrote:Chris, you say they are submitting them to free sites.
I didn't say they are, its just that I could see the need there. I was contacted once as well to see if this was possible, at the time I said no and didn't think to much about it. But now I can see how people would be looking to do something like this.

I think I know what I need to do. Thanks for the feedback all.
malward

Post by malward »

Hi Chris,

I hope we were of some help with the feedback. It's alway good to look at a variety of options. I, for one, am always happy to give an opinion. Thanks for asking us.
Mary
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

You've got more than enough feedback already, but I agree with everyone else too. Even if our work is being shared freely, someone somewhere is making money from the traffic the articles are bringing in - and that's not ourselves as authors or the buyer of the piece. That makes me a bit uncomfortable.

The other thing that is a bit worrying is that we have no way of knowing what has been shared in this manner and what has been pilfered. If we find our work somewhere that we haven't sold it or given permission for use, normally we'd contact the site or web host and cause a rukus. If it's been given away by the person who's bought the rights, then we end up looking rather silly. :lol:

On that note, I'm sure we're all looking forward to the upcoming changes.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

In the case of any content sold here, I would expect you all to contact us first. We will do the investigation for you and contact the buyer. In the past we have had writers send nasty emails to clients only to find out they purchased that article and they were allowed to use it.
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

constant wrote:In the case of any content sold here, I would expect you all to contact us first.
Ideally, that would be the case, however, if a webmaster is purchasing content here and then sharing/selling it with/to other sites that we're unaware about... that's a whole other can of words as CC can't be held accountable in that case if you don't know where the works are going in the first place.
L. E. Gant

Re: Possible Unique license change

Post by L. E. Gant »

constant wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback from writers on this one.

Right now if a customer purchases a "Unique" license, they are allowed to use it as many times as they want in magazines, websites, etc. As long as they own the website or magazine.....

What do you think?
I might be a bit late in joining in, but as far as I can figure, when someone buys "unique",they are effectively buying all rights to the article. As such,they can do what they want with it (as long as they stick to what's agreed in terms of the changes they can make).

Just like when you write for another articles gathering group - they can sell it wherever they want or give it away if they prefer. You, as writer, have been paid for your work. If that's not enough, then it's your own fault for charging too little. That's why the exclusive price can be different from the usage price.

However,if they pay only for usage, then they are limited, as with magazines,to use it only in one place. It it happens to be a newsletter, then they can only use it once, period. On a web site,it can be there are long as necessary, with any number of references to it from other sites or pages or newsletters (although this does break the spirit of the agreement, if not the letter).