Quick Update

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Re: Quick Update

Post by BarryDavidson »

If I'm remembering correctly, you can hold down the f8 key when Vista is loading, and right at the top of the startup will me an option to "fix" something or other. I had to do it with my wife's laptop when one of the kids corrupted a whole bunch of files. I tried all that crap with typing "cmd" then "scandisk C: /f" or whatever it was, and none of that worked. (Microsoft help files were no help at all.)

If you were in the area, I saw an ad yesterday where someone was selling their full version of Vista home for around 100 bucks.

I'd recommend getting at least an 8gb flash drive, making a solid backup of the system, and then locking up the drive in a safe place. (I had to buy a 300lb safe to keep my kids from destroying important things.) My wife writes novels, so I've been buying her flash drives to keep each book series on. She's up to about 40 novels now.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You can't beat an online backup system, either. I recently had to review a bunch for a client and convinced myself that I couldn't live without one! The one I ultimately picked backs up my data as soon as I create and save it! Likewise, when I edit and save an existing file, up it goes to my online backup where I can retrieve it from any computer. I feel this is the best option because what if the house burnt down, taking with it my computer -- and my physical backups?
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Celeste,

I do have several files stored online. I've used about ten different online backup services in the past. Either they were buggy, and it was hard to get my data back off, or they were too expensive for me to justify the expense.

For small files, I email them to myself on two different addresses. Not the best method, but it comes in handy in a pinch. I'm an old fashioned type. I write most everything down on paper first before typing them on the computer. I keep the original paper copies in a fire proof container. (I also email a good portion of my work to my mother to read, and she backs them up on CD's for me.)

Depending on your work, the online option may be a darned good idea for you. All I really need is one good backup of all my important files and I'm good. Granted, I do have a three drawer CD case where I put CD and DVD data backups of my files. Each is labeled with the month, date and year they were created, and a basic list of what's on them.

One thing I'll be doing as soon as my new 32GB flash drives arrive is installing an operating system, and backing up the important programs and files on them. With just one of those I can install XP, Office XP, put my writing and genealogy files on it, and quite a few semi-important files (along with all my pics). I'll be doing the same thing with my new external 500GB SATA USB hard drive when it arrives. I'm leaning toward putting Vista on it just so I can have all the 64bit drivers for my hardware. (I'll be asking you how to turn off some of the crap I won't need.)
Celeste Stewart

I used to upload my manuscript files and store them on a folder in my web-based email account. That was fine for short term insurance. But I'm terrible at remembering to manually back up stuff. I may remember that I need to do it but it's one of those things that I tend to put off - like for months at a time. Then I have this nagging feeling hanging over me that I really ought to take a few minutes to burn a CD with my latest files.

I have maybe 6 or 7 ultra-important files that I regularly use and it's devastating when they get screwed up. So far, one of my spreadsheets listing writing assignments, due dates, PO #s, and status became corrupt and unreadable - fortunately, I was able to restore it from my online backup in a matter of seconds. Plus, the backup was current since my last save (it also stores multiple versions). That one incident alone was worth the $50 for the year. I can't imagine how much lost time I saved.

Turning off the Vista crap is easy. When you're ready, let me know. Vista comes with built-in performance tools in the Control Panel and has a task pane where a bunch of adjustments are grouped. That's a good place to start for most casual users.
jak

Post by jak »

Celeste - can you recommend what you consider the best and most economical on-line backup service? I know just what you mean about putting off the manual backup. I use an external drive at the moment, which is brilliant when I can get it to the top of my list and make myself sit there and do it.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Jak,

Stay away from Xdrive. Other than that, most backups are the same. I do know that Microsoft Live has an option of opening and saving files directly to the online server. Some of the others do as well. It's just a question of what you're willing to spend, and how much you can afford.

Many people just buy an online domain with FTP capabilities. The most expensive part of getting a website is registering the domain name, and setting it up initially. If you're not going to be changing the backups, then look for a site with security, FTP and a low yearly cost. (Monthly might look cheaper, but is usually a lot more in the long run.)
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for that, Barry.
Celeste Stewart

I demo'd a bunch and the one I ended up buying was BeInSync. It works wonderfully and needs very little action on my part. It's fairly pricey as there are free online storage options all over the place but the instant backups and other features were well worth it to me. It costs about $55 per year. You can get a longer subscription that discounts it a bit.
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks Celeste.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

All I have to say is time to switch to Linux...