Say NO to Vagueness

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Ed

Say NO to Vagueness

Post by Ed »

Hi Writers,

Please avoid using vague words like "things," "something," "someone" (as well as descriptors that aren't at all descriptive: good, bad, etc.).

When you travel, you don't "do things" - you see sights, go on tours, visit museums, participate in outdoor activities, and dine, relax, sleep in.

If you're shopping, you don't shop for, "things like . . . " You shop for items specifically. Shoes. Clothing. A new ladder.

Someone isn't only someone - she may be a coworker, friend, acquaintance, individual, relative, homebuyer.

Using words like "good" or "bad" to describe stress, disease treatments, trip planning, how a wedding dress will look, the importance of getting a home inspection doesn't add anything to the writing. These are poor placemarkers for words that will work better.

Thanks,
Ed
grouchy

Re: Say NO to Vagueness

Post by grouchy »

Ed - thanks for this tip. It's a good thing to remind everyone of this because vagueness is, well, you know, bad because it can interfere with someone's understanding of the things you're trying to tell them.

TGIF!!!
cgardener

Re: Say NO to Vagueness

Post by cgardener »

Thanks, Ed. I'm guilty of this sometimes, when I just can't get the right word to come to my brain.