UPDATE - Migrations issue and dandelion prevention ideas!

Recent site updates, improvements, etc.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

constant-content
Site Admin

UPDATE - Migrations issue and dandelion prevention ideas!

Post by constant-content »

The dandelion reference was a tip of the hat to Grouchy! Thanks Grouchy for bringing me back to earth and reminding me to let all you folks know what going on.

Ok this is the skinny on the happenings that have been occurring here at CC over the last month:

We initially migrated the site (a fancy term for moving) to a new hosting company when we first took ownership of the site. The move ended up being a total disaster, and so we moved it on Monday and that has had its problems also, as I imagine everyone has realized.

The purpose of the second move was to get some better hardware to run the site, and hopefully improve some of the speed/performance issues caused by the first move. After this last set of problems it became clear to us that CC is like a big old model sailboat; beautiful to look at, amazing in its detail and construction, but it is old and when you move it from above the fireplace to the coffee table, railings, sails and masts keep breaking. You get the idea. The site has been patched together without a unified architecture that would keep it healthy and stable even in the strong winds of change.

Ok Ok, I'll leave the mariner metaphors alone. We are in the process of going through each line of code and make sure that from here on out we are only going to make the site better and more reliable. There is a long list of fixes and changes that are only the beginning to the changes we would like to initiate, but they are going to be sweet relief for all.

Just a few things that you can look out for in the next month or so.

-Automated Updating of the requests section, so that old, or fulfilled requests will either be removed or marked as filled when an buyer gets an article for his request.

-A revamp of the messaging system, to allow for easier communication between all members of the CC community.

-Speedier site

-Extension of log in time and less confusing log in parameters

-Better category system for users, and less automated emails etc.

-Linking forum login to CC login

-a complete marketing solution and project development section for CC writers

-An updated list of article topics we know there is a big demand for, utilizing our market metrics, to help CC writers increase their own sales and to help consumers get the specific topics that they are looking for.

I just want to thank everyone for all their patience, and understanding with all the glitches and problems that we have all had to face. We are totally committed to making the site better, keeping it running smoothly and helping everyone involved be successful in whatever they have come to CC to find. I will do better at keeping everyone appraised on the process and hope to keep it a transparent at all levels.

Cheers,

David Kool
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

So what have you been doing in your spare time? :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly, David. I'm so sorry your sailboat keeps coming apart. Sounds like it's been, um, oceans of trouble. You have probably wanted to jump in the lake on more than one occasion. Glub glub.

Thanks again. Anchors away!
jak

Post by jak »

This all looks like very good news, David. But I'm sorry you've been awash with all those problems. Your watery allegory is a bit like our TV news over here, with so many people's houses being flooded out time and again.

I just noticed that I'm not getting emails about new public requests. On the plus side, the site is moving faster now.

Bets of luck with it all.