Experience in staying Loyal to C-C

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Elizabeth Ann West

Experience in staying Loyal to C-C

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I just had a brand new customer purchase 2 articles from me in what is now going to be a weekly assignment. During price negotitations, I explained I couldn't go lower to ensure my base rate after C-C takes their cut. He responded with asking me to contact him at his email for ease purposes.

Not wanting to lose the sale, but having a good idea where it was going, I did. He offered to lower the amount for the article just paying me directly to Paypal, saving us both "x" amounts. I'm not willing to risk my contract with C-C to make a few extra dollars on one assignment.

I explained to him unfortunately I sell exclusively through C-C and told him why. I explained that while the cut sounds large, really it's an insurance policy for both of us. I explained it protects me from plaigarizing, and if anyone does plaigarize my material, C-C has the legal staff to go after them. I also pointed out C-C's return policy and that because my work is edited, it ensures high quality and uniqueness. I finished with this just shows my loyalty and honesty in my business dealings, with C-C and with you, in our future business relationship.

In the end, he understood, and completely agreed with me! So not only did I get to keep the job, my first weekly gig, but I also helped teach him about the workings of C-C. Nevermind that the fee I am charging him for the work he wants done is absolutely a bargain basement amount (Ed would probably cringe). I am more looking at this as an opportunity to learn and get experience working with a particular website for pormotion. A freelance writing internship if you will! :)

Just wanted to post this as proof that the high road does work, and don't be surprised to be approached to work outside C-C. But if you handle it with dignity and grace, you don't have to lose the sale. :)
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thank you, thank you - and good for you!

Here's hoping that you've also gotten yourself a loyal customer who appreciates your integrity.

One last thing - consistent work, even if you do it for less money, is at least money you know is coming. Maybe some writers would disagree with me, but if I knew I could make X amount of money predictably, it would be worth it to negotiate pricing.

Ed
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

:!: A great idea to post this story! I am very impressed by the way you handled this situation. HUGE congratulations to you, Elizabeth.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

This is good to hear, i know many writers on here that would do the same but its nice to hear about it... Thank you.

With that said i'm working on a bulk order system where the customer would pay less as they buy more articles. But the "less" would be taken from CC's side. Its in the works.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You handled it well.

It's too bad that many would've bypassed CC which hurts us all. After all, the money CC makes goes toward bringing in new customers.
vjlenin

Post by vjlenin »

A really well managed contract. good thing. I also have been contacted by my purchaser for the first article I sold, but we didnt even cross the idea of selling outside CC. It is difficult because you cannot always be sure you will get the money deposited after you send the articles. Also the customer should be wary, if the author doesnt show honesty. Just being a little paranoiac in this case is acceptable I think. 8)
Shane Dayton

Post by Shane Dayton »

[quote="Ed"]Thank you, thank you - and good for you!

Here's hoping that you've also gotten yourself a loyal customer who appreciates your integrity.

One last thing - consistent work, even if you do it for less money, is at least money you know is coming. Maybe some writers would disagree with me, but if I knew I could make X amount of money predictably, it would be worth it to negotiate pricing.

Ed[/quote]

Absolutely right! When I transitioned from desperate graduate school student in a cabin with no running water in Alaska (not making this up) to a full time freelance writer, the $10 an hour job for $50 I always knew I was getting was far better than the shoot in the dark jobs that paid more. Increasing the "constant" work to the bare minimum of what I knew I needed each week takes away so much stress, and really lets you concentrate on getting the most out of your time.

Great job staying within the site, too: I've learned the hard way before it doesn't matter if you're a freelancer for a job an established corporation hires, you can still get jipped.