Choosing a Category

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Aariana Adams

Choosing a Category

Post by Aariana Adams »

I'm looking for opinions on how to choose a category for article submission. For example, an article on tips for photographing your dog with a digital camera: I tend to think that a customer looking for pet articles might be the buyer, rather than a customer looking for articles on digital cameras - but who knows. If I choose Animals>Dogs and Puppies, I cannot choose Photography.

Any thoughts :?:
LJade

Post by LJade »

LOL, that's cute! When you submit your article simply add it to another category as well by typing in a "suggested category" in the box provided on the submission page.

Another tip is to include a note for Article Admin in the summary box (ATT: AA) when in doubt, which has happened to me a couple of times and they always put the article in the right categories for me.

Hope that helps a little!

:arrow: LJ :D
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

Thanks for the info - especially adding a note in the summary box. As for "simply add it to another category," I'm not clear how to do this. The category box will not take more than one category. "The suggested category" asks for suggestions only for a category not already provided - a new category. Seems I saw something from Admin about abuse of this feature.
LJade

Post by LJade »

Hmmm... I haven't read anything about abusing that feature, maybe it was directed towards me for abusing it though! :)

:arrow: LJ :shock:
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

I found a statement by Admin dated Jan. 21,2005, that I probably had in mind: "Second Category: If you think your article belongs in two categories you can use this. But please don't select a second category just because you can."

I took the statement on the "submit article" page, directing to suggest a new category not yet listed, too literally.

The word "abuse" was a paraphrase (and an incorrect one) of how I remembered an older post.

No guilt feeling for you, please - that would ruin my day!
LJade

Post by LJade »

Guilt? LOL

(As funny as it may be)

Once I skipped to the end of Revelations and I hesitated, feeling I'd go straight to Hell. (I did it anway.)

That happened when I was about eight years old, just when the little writer within me began to bud and as writers ... it's our nature to take words 'literally'.

Don't sweat it, smile and have a great day-everyday. :)

:arrow: LJ :D
southernrose

Post by southernrose »

Aariana, I believe you may be referencing this thread.

http://constant-content.com/forum/viewt ... t=category

There was a feature for a while that allowed us to choose a second and separate category for our articles, but according to that thread, apparantly that priviledge was being abused and so now the administrators add it to a second category at their discretion only.
Aariana Adams

Post by Aariana Adams »

Yes, that's the post I thought I remembered but couldn't find.

"However, solely at the discretion of the editing team. No requests, please." is fairly definite.

Thanks for unearthing this, southernrose. There's so much to read on this site.
southernrose

Post by southernrose »

No problem at all. I thought I remembered a post like you had described, so I thought I might as well look it up to clarify the issue for myself as well.

~Elizabeth~