Another Private Request Purchased by Someone Else

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Celeste Stewart

Another Private Request Purchased by Someone Else

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hello, occasionally, someone other than the original private requester will buy an article before the original customer has a chance. Hence, the Private Request category was born. But it still happens. It's not a frequent problem but it occurs enough that certain customers even have you title their documents with their names in it.

The other day, another article for a private customer got picked up by someone else. WHile I don't mind the extra sale, I do mind having to rewrite it under a tight deadline. I also imagine the customer could have issues with their carefully thought out keyword strategy going to someone else.

So here's what I'm doing. I am copying and pasting this little warning into the summary:

*********************** Please Read Before Purchasing This Article *****************
This article has been written specifically for a customer’s private request. Please do not purchase this content if you are not the person who requested it. If you need a similar article, Constant-Content’s request system can help you get exactly what you want, customized for your own needs. Thank you for respecting this customer’s requested content.
******************************* Celeste Stewart *******************************

This way, it's crystal clear (I hope) that the article isn't for general sale. I don't think customers are purposely taking private articles. In this case, he may have searched a keyword and found the article and said "Cool, I'll take it." not really realizing the category was "private."

So, my hope is that they'll read the warning, and respect that the article isn't intended for general purpose. They can then create their own request using the request system and get their own article custom written to their own specs which also gives other writers a chance at filling his needs.

Any thoughts? I'd like it a little shorter ultimately. If you guys like the idea, you can copy and paste into your own private request summaries, I don't mind. I created a MS Word Quick Block so it's easy to insert into my documents each time.
catnipp333

Post by catnipp333 »

Celeste,

GREAT idea! I may put on some of my private requests.

Catnipp333
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Good idea.. We have also been thinking of doing sub folders in the private request section for certain clients.
Kat DeLong

Post by Kat DeLong »

This may have just happened to me on an article that will be very difficult to rewrite. This was before Celeste's suggestion, so I didn't have a chance to put her header on my article.

Thanks,
Kat
Last edited by Kat DeLong on Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat DeLong

Post by Kat DeLong »

Somebody else did in fact buy my private request. Unfortunately, this article involved a lot of research and had many keywords specific to the client, which makes the extra money almost a moot point as I don't think it can be rewritten with the same information.

I think we need to find a solution quickly. As CC grows, this will probably become more of a problem.
Kat