What is AC

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

praise

What is AC

Post by praise »

Hey can some one please tell me about AC so I can earn on that as well..

Thanks
NicWrites

Post by NicWrites »

It stands for Associated Content. Google it and you will find it. They will offer you something for writing on any topic, the range is $2-$40.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Nic is right. Currently, pricing per article is ridiculously low -- like $5 bucks per article -- even for someone with decent "clout." But, they are trying a new pay per click model where they pay you for viewership. So, a $5 article could potentially earn you quite a bit over its lifetime (in theory anyway).

Some articles generate more income than the initial payment so it's something to consider. My approach to using AC is that it's a way to get a little something out of articles I write on spec that don't sell here. I give articles a chance here and then when I have a slow month or feel the urge for some extra cash, I'll pull a few and post them on AC as an experiment to see if I can build some extra ongoing income. It's still just a trickle (and I have a high clout rating there) so the verdict is still out as far as I'm concerned but I can't complain about the articles that continue to bring me free money.

I still play around there trying to figure out how to make it work for me. Their standards are lower than CC's which tarnishes their image a tad and creates a "but I'm a published author" mentality amongst some who could use a little help in the writing department ;) An AC publishing credit doesn't a writer make (in my humble opinion). Not to say that there aren't excellent writers there - don't get me wrong. Just understand that they have different standards and often weigh keyword density more heavily than grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

It's an interesting model and the people there are tweaking and adjusting as they go. I suspect they'll become pickier. You can make a few bucks there as well as get some experience. For me, CC is the more profitable choice but that's just my experience. I'm sure there are plenty of AC writers doing well. I just prefer to spend the bulk of my time here.

Also, if an article sells for usage here, I'll post it on AC (as non-exclusive of course) and see what kind of hits I can get especially with the performance bonus.

Ok, that's my dissertation on AC for the night :roll:
NicWrites

Post by NicWrites »

Ooooh, I never thought of selling usage article sales on AC again. That's a good idea - I am in the same boat that I used to do lots on AC - got my feet wet there - but now that I realize I can actually write and write well, I have moved on to higher paying work and steady clients.
janewinstead

What is AC

Post by janewinstead »

I have two articles for usage rights on CC. I submitted those two articles to AC for as non-exclusive. AC accepted one and paid me a minimal amount for it. However, the other one was rejected for payment. I was told it is because the article is online under another name. I don't understand how that can be but I deleted it as I have no way of finding out if someone else has "lifted" it off CC. I did try searching for a unique phrase but did not find one. Both those articles were published in print over a year ago and I was paid by the magazine that published them. They were never online through the magazine.

Jane
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

well, hmmn, if you sold it for usage, there's a chance that whoever bought it "tweaked" it against the terms of the usage license and put their own name or dropped your byline which could imply that it's not your exclusive article (which is part of a problem I have with selling for usage but that's another subject).

I think that customers often don't know the difference between the various rights (in fact, many authors are confused as well). So, it could be related to someone having bought your article, dropped your name, and posted it on their site. How would AC or anyone else necessarily know it's yours from the get go? Surely they use CopyScape to weed out duplicates. In this case, they see a problem and err on the side of caution - just as CC does.

Try and research the article if you can, maybe run it through CopyScape on your own and see if you can find duplicates that are not legitimate.
janewinstead

Post by janewinstead »

Celeste, thanks for your reply. The only problem, is the article on CC is for usage only since it was printed in a magazine/paper before and it has not sold on CC. I submitted it as non-exlcusive on AC. On CC I always copy the whole article for review. Do peolpe actually take those and put them on their web site under their name?

About copyscape, how can I do it myself? Is there software I can download or do I have to buy the software? I would be interested in knowing. Also, have you ever used textalyser.net? If so, can you explain exactly how it works, the numbers, etc.

Thanks, Jane
darcylogan

Post by darcylogan »

Copyscape is available online.

You can also do direct passage searches through any search engine. Just put it in quotes. You should be able to find it fairly quickly there.
janewinstead

Post by janewinstead »

Thanks.
NicWrites

Post by NicWrites »

I have trouble using copyscape, but you can use www dot articlechecker dot com. It's free!
JerryGarner

Post by JerryGarner »

There are a lot of great points here.

Another aspect I like with AC is that I often write news stories. Within a few hours, AC can usually get them approved, posted, and aggregated through google. Here at CC, however, it would be seriously old news by the time it got reviewed, so there's little point in submitting it here.

I haven't been a member of CC long enough to really draw a comparison. Although, I can say that I haven't yet sold anything here, and I do pretty good over at AC.
Alexandra Heep

Post by Alexandra Heep »

It's the opposite for me. AC tends to reject my articles because "the subject is too common". I have sold several to AC, but I have made more money here in a short time span.
Ed

Post by Ed »

This is not a great news outlet, true. Our site caters to website owners who want informative content that can generate pageviews over a long period of time. Esoteric content or articles that require immediate, short-term interest do not usually sell.

Thanks,
Ed