Tip for Writers

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

dsletten

Tip for Writers

Post by dsletten »

Hi everyone,

If you want your real name (not your username) and the proper title to appear on any articles you sell for Use Rights, you will want to add your name and the title on your downloaded file. As someone who occasionally buys manuscripts from CC for my blogs, I've found that many of the downloads do not contain the title of the article or the writer's name. Even if you want the buyer to use your username, you should put it in the downloaded file so the buyer doesn't have to go back and look at who they purchased the article from. I've noticed in the past on this forum that some writers complain that some of their articles sold for Use Rights do not have their name on them when they are published. This may be why. Imagine if you are a buyer who purchases 30 articles and most don't have titles or author's names on them - would you want to have to go back and look them up? Just thought I mention this - it makes it easier for the buyer and the author will get the credit he/she deserves. :)
DennyK

Re: Tip for Writers

Post by DennyK »

Thank you for the tip. It's nice to hear from the "other side" on this forum. :)
Conversely to your tip, if I uploaded a file with my byline on top and it sold for full rights, would the buyer know to remove it? I actually have had some go for full rights that left my name intact, but I think that's not the norm.
Anyway, thanks for showing up here.
Denny
jellygator

Post by jellygator »

If it sold for full rights, and they use the name anyway, it's possible that they don't understand that they can remove the name. But in my opinion, that's their responsibility, not the writer's.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Some don't mind keeping the byline but want full rights to the article so that they can edit it, add new keywords, or insert links...
Lor

Post by Lor »

Celeste, are you saying they can't insert links if they buy usage or unique? I just sold a unique and the publisher has removed my byline and the article has half a dozen links. I'm okay with the links, but I'd like my byline there. I wrote to CC support as I feel the guy owes the full-rights payment. Maybe it's just not clear in the client FAQs how he can use the articles. I don't know what messages they get, once they make the purchase. I think from now on my unique and full rights prices will be the same. It's pretty much the same anyway, other than byline and if they're removing them, what have I to gain?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Exactly - customers can't touch a "unique" article. If they want to do some tweaking, however minor, they need to purchase the rights to do so.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Thanks for the clarification, Celeste. That's what I thought and I was surprised my byline was removed. I just counted eight links. I wrote to support on Thursday or Friday (can't remember), but with the long weekend here, I don't expect to hear anything back until tomorrow. Hopefully they'll bill him/her for full-rights, or ask him/her to use the article as contracted. I wouldn't bother, but for the time that went into the article and the dollar value I attached. It's a nuisance.