Use of numbers

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

SidSnyder

Use of numbers

Post by SidSnyder »

I am new here, and have spent quite a bit of time searching this site for "rules" regarding writing numbers in articles, such as "3" or "three", etc. I have done a Google search on this subject, but there seems to be a variety of acceptable ways. Can anyone give me a link that will show me what constant content prefers. I'd rather get it right the first time instead of having my article rejected and having to resubmit! Thanks!
jadedragon

Re: Use of numbers

Post by jadedragon »

There is a wide variety of acceptable ways to do this. here's my take:

Small number - use digits 2, 10 etc.
Larger numbers - consider spelling them out two hundred and fifty.

Be consistent. Don't say 2 than two.
MicheleH

Post by MicheleH »

I can't speak as to the editor's opinion on this but...

writing for the web sometimes makes breaking the rules necessary. If the digit '2' is part of a keyword phrase, it's better for SEO reasons to use the digit. Under traditional grammar rules, however, lower numbers would be spelled out.

IMHO, web content is often scanned rather than read. Using digits rather than words makes things quicker and easier to read. When writing for myself or clients, I generally use all digits except when the number is the first word of a sentence.

It will be interesting to see how the editors view this issue.
SidSnyder

Post by SidSnyder »

Thanks for your responses, jadedragon and MicheleH. I had contacted constant content over a week ago asking for what they preferred, but didn't get a reply yet. Maybe the best way to know what is acceptable is to just submit my article that has numbers and see what happens! :?