STOLEN Content Alert

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Word Gypsy

STOLEN Content Alert

Post by Word Gypsy »

HI,

I have disappointing news - more stolen content. LOTS.
The offending site: http://elsestuff.info/
I asked nicely, but the administrator won't take the content down willingly.

WG
Lynnemac

Re: STOLEN Content Alert

Post by Lynnemac »

How frustrating. I can see one of mine there.

I'm not sure what (if anything) we can do about this.

Are we best to leave it to CC to deal with it? I've let them know the title of the article.

Thanks for the alert, WG

Warm regards,
Lynne
LMills

Post by LMills »

Yuck, my sympathies. I've been a victim of article theft many times over but, most of the time, I've been successful in removing it.

In my experience, CC is very helpful to a point. They will certainly contact the webmaster and ask him or her to remove the content. That's usually where their involvement ends.

Unfortunately, the site mentioned above does not use Google ads, so a DMCA claim will be useless.

Best to go to whois.com and look up the ISP, serial number, domain registration and any other pertinent information. Sometimes you can also find a name and an e-mail address for the webmaster as well.

If you are not successful in getting the webmaster to remove the content, I suggest a phone call to the customer service or security department of the ISP. They will explain their guidelines for filing an infringement claim, and if you can prove ownership, they will usually remove the stolen content.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Yep, I found one of mine there. I recognize many on there as being recent articles added here...so much for the extra measures that were taken to protect our articles...I guess someone has yet again found a way around it (sigh...some people are so pathetic). Oh well, I contacted support. I know they have been successful in the past with getting sites like these taken down.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I can't usually make heads or tails out of most of that technical stuff, but here is part of what I found:

I suppose one would contact GoDaddy?

Domain ID:D35168873-LRMS
Domain Name:ELSESTUFF.INFO
Created On:25-Oct-2010 21:59:04 UTC
Last Updated On:25-Dec-2010 20:35:27 UTC
Expiration Date:25-Oct-2011 21:59:04 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:GoDaddy.com Inc. (R171-LRMS)
Registrant ID:CR65492901
Registrant Name:Alexandr Konovalov
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street1:ukrainian
Registrant Street2:

I don't understand why it says that it was last updated last Dec. though, when the majority of that content was added after.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

aprilk10 wrote:I don't understand why it says that it was last updated last Dec. though, when the majority of that content was added after.
That last updated thingy would refer to when the domain registrant updated his domain info on GoDaddy. It could be he changed his admin, technical, contact, registrant info or added new nameservers. It doesn't reflect when he added pages or content to the site.

~Sherry
LMills

Post by LMills »

This can get really tricky, but if you or CC cannot get the site owner to respond, you can try contacting the ISP/domain server. They will advise you further.

SourceDNS - www.NetworkSolutions.com/

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Matthew, Hill hostmaster@SOURCEDNS.COM
1600 GRAYFRIARS AVE
HOLT, MI 48842-2018
US
517-699-2527 fax: 123 123 1234

Good Luck,
Linda
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I contacted CC. I'm just going to leave it to them for now! Thanks!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I left two nice comments on the guy's site. I notice he removed my comments, but none of the articles. I just sent a message to the ISP administrator. Thanks!
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

aprilk10 wrote:I left two nice comments on the guy's site. I notice he removed my comments, but none of the articles. I just sent a message to the ISP administrator. Thanks!
I recognized one of the articles there as yours, April, so I tried writing a comment saying it was stolen from CC. Unfortunately, that sorry excuse for a turd is now moderating comments :x
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Thanks Sherry! Yeah, I noticed he was moderating comments. I recognized a lot of the articles from here. I messaged Eric about it also. He told me to file a DMCA complaint with the ISP (Network Solutions). I had sent the adminstrator at Network Solutions a basic note, but may have to go ahead and file a formal complaint. I actually have never done that before, but I guess I should learn! :-) He provided me with the info I need, so I may try that either tonight or tomorrow. I think all the articles on the site are from here.
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

Eric contacted me today because he found one of my articles copied on another site. I had posted a third of the article but apparently, it was still good enough for the guy to steal :x The guy has AdSense on his site so I quickly faxed a DMCA complaint to Google. Keeping my fingers crossed he'll get shut down soon. And a million thanks to Eric for giving me a heads up. He's a cool dude! :D
LMills

Post by LMills »

Just an fyi, you can now file a DMCA via Google's e-mail format and you'll get a much quicker response.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/stati ... ts=1114905
Constant

Post by Constant »

Hey everyone. We are working diligently to get this site taken down as soon as possible, and will keep trying until it is.

As mentioned, filing a DMCA with the host is the best thing that writers can do at this point. It looks like the host is Liquid Web, and you can lodge your claim at this link:

https://www.liquidweb.com/about/dmca.html
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Yay! One down... Just got this email:

April-

I have disabled elsestuff.info pending a full and complete counter-notice, or
removal of the content in question.

Thank you,

Alex Kwiecinski
Security/Abuse Team
Liquid Web, Inc.