Question for Ed

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

topdycke

Question for Ed

Post by topdycke »

Hi Ed,

I have a grammar question that I've been searching for the answer to and thought perhaps you could answer it. When writing about something that doesn't usually have plural to it how should it be written?

Example: it should be thick enough to be seen and make a statement while not drawing too much attention and crowding the e’s and o’s (is this correct?) or should it be es and os with quotation marks?

I'm not sure just what the rule is. Also, has modern language dropped the extra s after possives that end in s? Example: Charles's friend (from Strunk and White) I've been noticing that people are not adding the s but just doing a Charles' friend. Is this now acceptable?

I always enjoy your mini lessons and hope to see more. Thanks.

T
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hahah. Your question made my day. This is something that is tricky tricky. I was recently called out about adding apostrophes to dates (1900's is a no-no!), and so I did some research (grammar nerd, I know). It's okay, apparently, to use apostrophes with single letters (e's, o's), but they should not be used with DVDs or CDs.

And I personally would have dropped the second "s" in Charles's . . . I think language is going that way, anyway. Charles's is rather heavy-handed, in my opinion. If I can find an official source either way, I'll let you know.

Thanks!
Ed
topdycke

Thanks

Post by topdycke »

Thanks, Ed. I thought it was correct, but I could find nothing to verify my assumption. I all ready knew about the 1900s thing. As far as Charles' vs Charles's I'd like to see the former, but I do try to be grammatical correct.

I look forward to learning what you discover in your search. Thanks again and have a good night.

T
Ariah

Post by Ariah »

Just my 2 cents worth here, but way, way back in school, I was taught that either Charles's or Charles' was correct. Unless that has changed over the years, either will do. Personally, I prefer only one s.