$1 for an Article???

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Elizabeth Ann West

Re: $1 for an Article???

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

THAT makes far more sense. Really make sure writers understand the C-C guidelines before they tackle public requests. But yes, clarification would be helpful.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

If that is true it must be recent. The very first article I submitted here last July was for a public request. It was approved soon after but didn't sell until a week ago.

Maybe it's 5 articles accepted before you can contact a customer asking for clarification on a public request? Or maybe it's imaginary :)
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Anyone can submit to Public Requests regardless of number of sales. The articles have to pass Ed after all.

I think there is some restriction on contacting customers - maybe so many accepted articles? It is not based on sales though. I can't find the info on the restriction and I doubt it would effect any legit writer.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Found it!
As of right now we have suspended communication for authors that don't have at least one article that has been submitted an approved to the site. This is simply to prevent those members that are here to promote their own business and have no real intention of conforming to the rules of our community. This is meant to benefit not only the customer, preventing them from being overwhelmed by pushy and often inappropriate solicitations, but to protect the hard work of all our authors that are making good use of the rules.
http://www.constant-content.com/forum/v ... r&start=15

So, just to clarify all the various points that have been touched on in this thread:
- You must have 1 article accepted before you can send emails through the system.
- There is NO restriction on submitting to public requests.
- There is a $5 minimum payout threshold.
- New authors must have 5 articles accepted before they can submit any more.

And just to throw my two cents in...I don't think low prices increase sales as a rule. I think high quality and high volume is the way to go.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

Not to be picky, but I believe the last statement about 5 accepted is not correct. The system restricts submissions for a new author to 3 articles until at least one is accepted. That prevents Ed from being overwhelmed with submissions from an unqualified author. There might be a further restriction lifted at 5 articles accepted, I'm not sure.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I think this is what you're talking about:
- Brand new authors will only be allowed *three* submission in the review queue until they have one accepted
- Once they have *one article accepted* they will be able to have *six articles* in the review queue at any given time
- They limit will be removed once they have *ten articles* accepted
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

ugh, I am the queen of misinformation today. Thanks Ed and jadedragon for correcting 5 to 3! Tricky enough to get the hang of CC guidelines without me adding to the confusion :)
Sarah81

Post by Sarah81 »

Some of my shorter, easier-to-write articles - more like blog entries, really - sell for five bucks because they're only a few hundred words long and took all of half an hour to write (including revision and proofreading). They just aren't worth much more to me because they're not complicated and don't eat away that much of my time.

On the other hand, more specialized and longer pieces get higher price tags. I've sold some for more than a hundred bucks each because they required time, research, effort, etc.

I like being able to set my own prices, which is why I've been with CC for so long.
cspring

Post by cspring »

Yes, I agree that the prices of articles should reflect the worth of authors' time and effort. But I have just bought a copy of my own article for $1 today because I lost some of my own original files ( Hayleywriter mentioned this method earlier) . If I mark another article at a low usage price of under $5, my main purpose is to help people access that information. So I hope this does not discourage anyone. I did have one long piece that was sold for more than $100.

CSpring