A PayPal Warning for All

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

carpesomediem

A PayPal Warning for All

Post by carpesomediem »

Since many of us use PayPal, I thought I'd warn you of a threat. There is a web site that is spoofing the PayPal login site, asking you to change your password via an e-mail that comes from billing@paypal.com. Do not click the link, and do not change your password, it is a spoofed site resolving to another domain name. If you get the e-mail, report it to PayPal immediately by logging in through their site directly: http://www.paypal.com/.

Once again, do not believe this e-mail that's asking you to change your password, if you do click the link, you can clearly see that it does not resolve to PayPal, it resolves elsewhere!

Beware!
malward

Post by malward »

There is a warning on the Pay Pal log-in page that says that if you receive one of these messages, you should forward it to support@paypal.com. They will look into it. This isn't new. It's been going on for a long time. Pay Pal explicitly states that if they don't call you by your name, not to respond to the message. In the last 2 days, I've forwarded them 4 messages to be looked into. Apparently this is a case where people are trying to find out your username and password. They then go into your account and change the password so you can't access your account and they have your monies forwarded to their bank accounts.

Please, if you get these e-mails forward them to the above e-mail address so fraudulant e-mails can be looked into.
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

Yes, definitely forward messages to PayPal at once... spoofing a web site, which is what this new scam is doing, is obviously illegal.
Katie-Anne

paypal scams old news

Post by Katie-Anne »

These have been going around forever. I admit that at first I used to click them, but that was maybe 18 months back and then I'd just ignore them when they asked for info!

Now, like Mary, I forward them to Paypal and hope they catch the person doing this.

There are people who send similar messages about your ebay account, those ones I forward to ebay. This week it's the ebay ones that are coming into my mailbox.

Whilst it isn't news, there's still a scary amount of people who obviously fall for it otherwise they wouldn't waste their time, so it's good to highlight it now and again for newcomers to paypal (and ebay!).

Katie-Anne
Eliza Ferree

Post by Eliza Ferree »

Yes they have.....

Katie I'm back!! :) Computer got fried.
Galskygge

Post by Galskygge »

Thanks for the warning, even though this may be a really late reply, lol.
JenniLeigh

Post by JenniLeigh »

There is also an Paypal email address just for spoofs: spoof@paypal.com. They want people to start sending them here, I guess support's mail box was getting too full or something!
ssottile

PayPal Spoof

Post by ssottile »

Hi,

I have received several of these emails that look like they are from PayPal. I was immediately wary and forwarded them to the PayPal spoof address.

PayPal has responded that they are indeed not notes from them. They recommend NEVER clicking on these links. PayPal is working to disable these types of operations.

Best advice is to NEVER click on the links. It opens a "doorway" for these scammers.
Galskygge

Post by Galskygge »

Thanks for the warning everyone!