If only one grammar error is mentioned...did I make only one

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

MicheleH

If only one grammar error is mentioned...did I make only one

Post by MicheleH »

I found this site a few weeks ago and excitedly worked up and submitted my first piece. I knew there would be a bit of a delay in review since it was late on a Friday. Sure enough, the piece was rejected for macros I didn't know were even there.

Resubmitted and waited eight and a half days. Was beginning to think I needed to delete and resubmit. The second attempt got zinged for grammar on a sentence that I will admit that I had doubts about. It is about half-way through the article and was the only thing pointed out by the editor. Is it safe to assume that's the only error or should I be worried that there were others that were not identified?
nichewriter

Re: If only one grammar error is mentioned...did I make only one

Post by nichewriter »

I wouldn't assume it's the only error in your article since you said the error is found halfway through the article. CC editors usually stop reading once they see an error. Proofread your entire article more thoroughly. Pay attention to the longer sentences because they are likely where the errors would be (e.g., tenses, parallelism, pronouns, etc.). See if you can simplify or shorten some sentences for clarity.
MicheleH

Post by MicheleH »

I've never had anyone else looking over my shoulder before - it is a bit intimidating. The sentence in question was the only one in the piece that I was worried about. I think that was the only boo-boo. But, if I fix/delete the flagged sentence and miss something else that will be strike three.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

The so-called three strikes rule is used at the editor's discretion for more serious mistakes. I doubt you have to worry based on an initial rejection for macros followed by a single sentence with a grammar mistake.