Xomba Changes

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

jadedragon

Xomba Changes

Post by jadedragon »

Big shift at Xomba, including all new rules for posting articles. They increased the revenue share to 60% for writers (from 50%) but they axed the referral program without warning and without replacing it. So the 75 referred writers I brought to Xomba, many of whom wrote a bunch of content, will no longer earn me any Adsense Impressions :cry: I sure hope that CC does not pull a similar stunt because so far the 109 writers I've brought to CC have yet to write enough to cover the time for the articles I wrote to bring them here. Good thing I'm patient :)

I spent time digging through the new rules and the staff blog to figure out that is happening at Xomba and summarized it for anyone that is interested in the Xomba changes.
Antonia

Re: Xomba Changes

Post by Antonia »

Super helpful blog post - thanks JadeDragon. I signed up for Xomba a while back but never used it much. I don't think I will bother with it now, because based on the detailed comparisons you drew, there are places that are both more lucrative and have a more active writer's community (cough C-C cough!) Not saying X isn't a good match for anyone, just not my cup of tea.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Anybody have any suggestions on the best revenue share site to use? I'd like to start posting some of my articles that have sold for usage somewhere. I have a Hub account, but haven't done anything with it.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

One word April Infobarrel.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I sent an email asking Xomba to axe my account. Too much trouble to play with it. I'm trying InfoBarrel, but only have a few articles up there so far. I have more success with Triond as far as AdSense goes. Triond also has the benefit of counting your visits once per day.

If you're using AdSense though, make sure to set up channels to the various domains Triond (and other revenue sharing sites you're a member of) posts to. I checked my impressions and clicks for the last year, and noticed they weren't being recorded by AdSense. Everythng is peachy now, but that's still over 10k impressions and hundreds of clicks lost.

At any rate, put up links to your profile pages and I'll add you to the list of people I'm following on the various sites.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I've looked at Infobarrel in the past and they do seem to be good. The problem is that their guidelines and FAQs state that they won't accept previously published content. I glanced at Triond. They look to only accept unique content as well. I need to find someplace to put articles that have already been published elsewhere. Primarily, articles that have sold on here for usage. Do you place previously published articles on Infobarrel and Triond?
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

aprilk10 wrote:I need to find someplace to put articles that have already been published elsewhere. Primarily, articles that have sold on here for usage. Do you place previously published articles on Infobarrel and Triond?
I put perviously published articles on HubPages. Triond and InfoBarrel only accept original content. What I do is put articles which aren't up to par on CC on Triond, and them put it on HubPages and my blog after they've been published. I only have two articles on InfoBarrel so far because once you publish an article there, you aren't allowed to post them anywhere else. I've also linked my Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace accounts so that the links are posted there whenever I publish. I also have a Digg and Blogger account where I can then post links back to the other pages. It seems like a lot of work, but most sites now have share links - all you have to do is click them.

I had joined Helium before joining the CC community, so I have several of my early articles from there on CC for usage rights. I don't post to Helium anymore, but I make a little money off what's there.

I don't have a Kontera or eBay associate account. I'm too cheap to set up my own domain and website for now - which is required for both if I'm remembering correctly. Chitika, AdSense, AdBrite, and Amazon Associates don't require those if I'm remembering correctly. With AdBrite, don't bother signing up. Last I saw, they don't have any advertisers.

*Note: None of the above links are affialiate links. They're just links to my profile pages.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Thanks Barry! Looks like maybe I should stay with my Hub account and start putting more on there! I'll still need to sign up for Adsense and all that too. It has been a rainy day project in the back of my mind for some time now. Now just to go get it done!
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Jade, Antonia, April...

Put the links for your various profiles up here, and I'll follow/fan you on the sites I'm a member of. I'll try to visit at least ten pages/articles a day. Reciprocation isn't mandatory, but would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually getting an accurate count on visits to my various articles spread all over the internet now. Google finally got around to sending my account PIN so that I can start getting paid. (Didn't know that you have to have a valid phone number on file, and enter the mailed PIN number.)

Hell, I've been here in VA for almost two years now, and I'm still straightening my various accounts out to show the proper address and phone number. I even have an account at thespoof.com I'd forgotten about. I'm still trying to remember what site it was that I set up ad boxes for people to bid on. I used to make a little off that until I moved and forgot about it.
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

I am JadeDragon on Xomba, Infobarrel, and Bukisa.

Bukisa is a good place to submit articles sold for usage here. From theirFAQs "Can I submit my content if it’s already been published elsewhere? Answer: So long as it is your own original work, you are more than welcome to submit it to Bukisa for publication. We do recommend that it will be unique to Bukisa, as your content will perform better in search engines and AdSense revenues in the long-run."

Burkisa gives 60% Adsense revenue.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'll get on adding you...
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Hi,
I just joined InfoBarrel and am trying to get the hang of everything, but I don't understand how it all works. I'd be happy to add anyone as my "friend" on IB, but what does that do? I mean, besides being a friendly gesture, does it help with page ranks or views or something? Any info would be appreciated!
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

Barry, I am now following you on Hub (April S Kenyon). Still feeling my way around there and trying to get a few articles up. I don't know much about driving traffic though. I may have to post a few on Bukisa as well and see which does better...
jadedragon

Post by jadedragon »

MelissaNott wrote:Hi,
I just joined InfoBarrel and am trying to get the hang of everything, but I don't understand how it all works. I'd be happy to add anyone as my "friend" on IB, but what does that do? I mean, besides being a friendly gesture, does it help with page ranks or views or something? Any info would be appreciated!
You can only send and receive internal Infobarrel mail with people who are your friends. Your friends see new articles come across their feed and are more likely to read and comment on the articles. More friends also means more links to your profile via your avatar which is good for PageRank and leads more people to your profile to see your articles if they like your avatar and click it.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

I'm sick as ten dogs today, but here goes...

Busika
HubPages
InfoBarrel
Triond

I think I have a Squidoo account, but never did anything with it. The same goes for some of the other sites which have draconian regulations about how an article is to be written.