Weird email supposedly from CC...

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

Antonia

Weird email supposedly from CC...

Post by Antonia »

I received an odd email that sent off some warning bells. It came to my personal email, not my CC email, and purports to be from "an account manager from Constant Content." It outlines "an exciting opportunity" writing articles for "one very large client."

There are 3 attachments (which I haven't opened) claiming to be template files, and at the end it asks me to reply with my bids, saying, "The sooner you can get back to me the better, as the client is very eager to get started and this could mean a lot of work for all of us."

The whole thing feels scammy, but I'm really curious about it since the From addy is CC and the email doesn't have the ghastly grammar and spelling that one usually sees in these things.

I mean, I guess it could be legit...but since when does CC mediate between clients and writers and ask for bids? No, it can't be!

Anyone else gotten anything like this?
aprilk10

Re: Weird email supposedly from CC...

Post by aprilk10 »

Does sound fishy...but I have noticed alot of...different...things going on around CC lately...
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

CC does sometimes forward attachments from clients upon request. For example, if a project is too complex to copy and paste the info in the request form. Did anyone sign the message? Does the reply address point back to Constant-Content? CC seems too small to be the target of scammers but you never know.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Yes, it was signed by an Eric Hoppe and the reply addy does point to CC. I opened the attachments and everything looks legit, so I replied. Still wary, but we'll see what happens!
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Any new information on this, Antonia? I also received an email from "Eric Hoppe" asking about writing articles for a client.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

Hi! I did a little checking on this. Eric does work for CC, so you can take his emails as legit. Apparently, it is a new position here. Could be quite a good thing for CC authors. Happy Writing! WG
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

I've been in touch with Eric and it's all good. Yes, it does look like a nice opportunity. Chuckling at myself a bit for being so suspicious...
Gouldm80

Post by Gouldm80 »

Well, you never can tell these days. After seemingly scratching and clawing your way to a few sales, it almost seems too easy to have C-C admin. contact you with the prospect of steady work. lol
Thanks for responding. Hopefully these opportunities will turn into steady work for many different writers. :)
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

I got a request like this from Eric Hoppe 5 days ago. I replied that I was interested and added a few questions, but have not heard back. I'm wondering if I forgot to hit "send", or if this kind of wait time is normal. I do not wish to bug the editors, but should I reply again?
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

I'd check your sent folder to make sure the message went through. It only took 1-2 days for me to receive replies during the initial conversation, so 5 days (or rather 3 not counting the weekend) does seem a bit long. I'm sure it would not be perceived as bugging to resend if you don't hear anything in another day or so - sometimes things do fall through the cracks.
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I also received an email on the 27th from Eric. I sent a response back but haven't heard anything back yet. I figured I would write again if I didn't hear anything today. Could be that possibly the particular client just isn't ready yet.

Antonia: Do you receive the private request from the client or Constant Content themselves?
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

The request came through the normal way (to my CC email, not personal) and was listed under the client's name, but it may have been posted by CC on their behalf - I am not really sure.

I'm glad other people are getting these requests too; it feels like CC is expanding in a new direction and it could be quite good for the writers! Fun times.
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Thanks, April--it very well may be the same customer! :)
aprilk10

Post by aprilk10 »

I sent Eric a message this morning. No response yet!
MelissaNott

Post by MelissaNott »

Well, I just looked at the recently sold list, and it looks like somebody else got the Private Request assignments (which were about online degrees). I'm puzzled as to why I got a private email request to do these articles, but then no follow-through.