Capitalization in Title

A place where authors can exchange ideas or thoughts. Talk about what categories are hot and which ones are not.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed

AnneM

Capitalization in Title

Post by AnneM »

I have a quickie question about capitalizing "that" in a title. My brain says yes but when I do it, it sort of looks wrong. I know that may sound strange but I am very visual when it comes to everything from learning to writing. Ed will probably kill me when he hears this, but that's how I proofread lol... It either looks right or it doesn't. So therein lies my cunundrum. Rules and regs say yes but my eyeballs say no.

I came across this yesterday when I submitted an article and because I wasn't sure I just rephrased the title. Better safe than sorry is my motto lol..
Ed

Re: Capitalization in Title

Post by Ed »

Capitalize it.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

I use the Submit Article form to capitalize. Enter the title and hit Return and it will automatically capitalize the title for you if you have the box checked.

You can then paste it into your doc. No more worries whether you got it right :D

(Ed is probably cringing.)
AnneM

Post by AnneM »

Thanks very much.

Great idea Sharion :D... I just often worry about how good some spellcheckers are because, for example, I run Linux on my computer and let's just say that openoffice still needs some work on their spelling tools lol
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

My spellchecker frequently flags words that are spelled correctly and I tell it to "learn" the words. Spellcheckers and grammar checkers are tools to help you, but without already knowing the basic fundamentals they can steer you wrong. If you're writing about places and people, you'll run into errors a lot so you must make sure your spelling is correct.

It's especially tricky if a name is similar to a regular word but slightly different. If you aren't paying attention, you might tell the spellchecker to replace the name and end up with it spelled wrong.

For example: Barack Obama. A spellchecker would try to change "Barack" to "Barrack" or "Barracks". No telling what it would do to Obama.

Some things you just have to know :D