Wish list 2008

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

grouchy

Wish list 2008

Post by grouchy »

Hi & happy new year!

I do not receive emails announcing new requests for at least four days, sometimes more. This is no big deal, because since I know this I just check the list regularly - it doesn't bother me.

But it is frustrating, especially when the web site is running sluggishly, to have to go to the requested content list and then click on the arrows to get the list to come up again, refreshed, in chronological order.

Was wondering about the possibility of having a couple options to choose from: maybe a *chronological list* of a rolling week's requests and a list of older requests -- actually two separate categories. I don't know about anyone else but I want to throw up a little every time I see old requests always near the top of the list about Cyprus flights and "per weak" etc etc etc. from September. If a person checks the request list a couple times a day the waiting eats up minutes (not to mention it seems like kind of sloppy housekeeping--it's kind of like going home every day and having to sort through a growing pile of old mail to find the stuff that just came that day).

How about a compromise - constant can make this possible and not worry about the email notifications being late?

Thanks.
[not being] grouchy
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

you know you can sort by date.... see the arrows next to the title:

Requested date ↑ ↓ Requested by↑ ↓

If you click the arrows it will sort them.

We are working on the slow issue... it seems to happen once a month at the end of the month, and last for a week.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

I guess I wasn't too clear - that's what is frustrating: to go to the requested content list and *have* to re-sort. Is there a way they can *stay* chronological?

Thanks!
S.A.Holt

Post by S.A.Holt »

I try working around the problem by sorting the requested content list and then saving the sorted URL to my favorites in IE. When I want to visit the requests page, I use the link, and the page is sorted automatically. I hope this helps.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Cool tip! I'm going to try it right now.
S.A.Holt

Sort Order for Requested Content page

Post by S.A.Holt »

It works pretty well. Here is the URL for anyone who wants to copy and paste it. I know the site is running slow right now:
http://www.constant-content.com/index.p ... ested_desc
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

I never would have thought to try that. Thanks very much!
constant-content
Site Admin

Is the problem that by default its not sorted by date?
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

exactly
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

Additionally to that, the messaging function in communicating with requesters needs to be more robust. I wholely echo the previous desires for a way to see that a message to a requester has been read, as a way to see if a request is still "live."

Also, perhaps a feature could be added to requesters allowing them to limit the length of time a request will stay up. For example, say I am a requester for an article on ancient Samoan dating practices (odd I know, but specialized enough that it might not be a popular topic to write on). I know that for my ends, I NEED an article no later than 1 month from now to make deadline. In addition to that, I am not going to only rely on ConstantContent to provide this article, I'm going to post the request on other sites, look for a previously written articles myself, and perhaps even seek other avenues to contact freelance writers in my local area. After 2 weeks, the articles on ConstantContent don't quite fit the length I need or fit my publication style, but another avenue comes through. Am I going to go back and delete the public request I made? Probably not, as that is extra effort on my part with no gain for me. Meanwhile, the posting remains up and new writers write articles on Samoan dating rituals every month for 6 months.

But, had there been a time out feature at the very beginning, and I could initially opt for my request to only last for 30 or 45 days, the request would automatically expire at the appropriate time. This prevents ConstantContent from relying on my effort as a requester to clean their public request house, and also prevents a dead request luring new and young writiers into writing specialized, almost worthless articles. Plus, ConstantContent really doesn't want or need dozens of articles on such a specialized subject.

I would reccommend there be a default time out set at 60 days, to force people who are requesting multiple articles to change the time to longer for their needs, but also prevent lazier requesters from not bothering to set a limit, and allowing a request to linger on the board for months.

Just an idea. :)
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

Oh Elizabeth, I so agree with you.

Constant, you ignored my suggestion earlier, the one Elizabeth is referring to, and that's not entirely kosher. Please respond "yes, good idea, we'll get that done," or "no, you're stupid, you don't know anything about this side of the business. We know better and we're the deciders."

hmmmpphh.
jak

Post by jak »

I'd also like to add my voice to this idea. It's brilliant from our point of view. While some requesters buy quickly and then only sometimes delete, others buy weeks later when I've given up all hope. If the time frame selected was on screen as well, it would be even better.
constant-content
Site Admin

We are redoing the entire request system, but this will take some time.
grouchy

Post by grouchy »

Wonderful to hear that - thanks. :D

p.s. does anyone else think that smiley looks like Rudy Guliani?