lost article......

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

patches

lost article......

Post by patches »

On Monday I spent a few hours on an article that was just over 1000 words. It is a requested article and I was pretty well up to speed on the topic. It has(or maybe had if I'm too late now)a good chance of selling for $100.

However, by late Tuesday I had heard nothing about acceptance or rejection of said article. When I went to CC I saw that it was not listed under "my content," so I sort of assume that was because it had not been accepted yet.

I wasn't sure, so I resubmitted the whole thing just in case and still have heard nothing as of Wednesday afternoon.

Any suggestions, or should I assume CC just didn't like it and forgot to tell me?

Also, I had an editor who was on a vendetta of sorts on the holiday Monday. In three hours he rejected about 12 articles I wrote. They were only 100-125 words, as that was all that was requested. I re-wrote some of them 3 times and still he emailed back with nastier and nastier comments.
How many ways can a person change 100 words to make him happy. In that space of time he sent more rejections than I have received in the year or so I've been with CC. I managed to slip 3 of the articles through and all 3 sold. All my writing is the same style, so go figure. Every time I used a comma he said it was a broken sentence. For instance to him a few sentences back would read(All my writing is the same style so go figure). To me there is a pause and to him I guess there isn't. I think either way, the customer would have bought the article, but when I changed that complaint to satisfy him, he found another. Finally I just gave up.

He probably cost me $100 and hours of my time. I would make a formal complaint for unprofessional conduct If there was anyone to talk to. Unfortunately everyone is just sent over here to the forums. I wonder if anyone else ran into him? Maybe he was unhappy he was working the holiday and just needed someone to take it out on. I have no idea.

Thanks
Ray
NicWrites

Post by NicWrites »

i know that they are real sticklers here about commas. I also know that the day taht the huge request came in the editor was swamped with work. There were hundreds, if not thousands, of articles submitted that day.

I would recommend brushing up on comma rules. Just because soemthing feels like it needs a comma, does not mean it gramatically does. I learned that the hard way in my early days here. There are many times that you might naturally pause when reading, but you do not put a comma because the grammar rules do not require it.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Hmm. We are having problems with emails going out. I'm not getting request notices, and I have a feeling others aren't as well. Now authors aren't getting rejection notices.

Your article had many spelling errors. To be honest, your submissions have been full of errors as of late. Please note that after many rejections, author accounts may be suspended. It is imperative that you submit only your best proofread work. I cannot see the same article three times in one day when it contains the same mistakes every time. This is a waste of both our effort. Please take your time with submissions.

Ed
patches

spelling errors??

Post by patches »

I suppose the odd spelling error can slip through, but I put all my articles through word perfect spell check before submitting them. I always have. Also, your own system checks them again when they are uploaded.

It baffles me that my articles are suddenly full of spelling errors. It's not really something I've really ever had a big problem with.

My biggest problems are usually forgetting to capitalize the title, or I suppose using comma's where I feel they belong and the rules dictate otherwise.

I will read up on the comma rules again to make sure of proper placement according to CC.

However it seems like a bit of overkill to suspend someones account over comma's or commas or commas' or whatever. Only kidding.

I sold another article today, so I must be doing some things right.

One thing I did notice however is that it is more difficult for some reason to write a short article of 100 words as opposed to a longer one of 500. It's the first time I have tried any of those and perhaps that was much of the problem. As the particular editor mentioned mistakes stand out more in short articles. I would have put a comma in that last sentence and this one but now I'm not even sure anymore.

Will have to read up.

Regards,
Ray
Ed

Post by Ed »

Unfortunately, your last article did contain many errors with spelling. Articles were not rejected for comma usage only. Apostrophe errors, sentence structure errors, clarity, and even grammar problems in some instances were apparent in the articles rejected.

We are having problems with our notification system. If you have questions about rejections in the future (or articles that have disappeared), please post in the rejection forum so they are not overlooked in the shuffle.

Ed
patches

Post by patches »

I believe I figured out what happened with my article.

By accident I believe I sent you the original rough copy from my desktop instead of the version I had put through word perfect for spelling errors.

Anyway, I have resubmitted and I checked and rechecked for spelling errors again and don't see any on this submission. Also changed some of the wording and eliminated several commas as per constant content guidelines.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

You know what - it happens! Sometimes, I'll be working on a file and will save it initially as whatever and keep working. Once done, I'll submit the article to CC - except I haven't actually hit the "save" button. While it's beautiful on my end, CC gets the uploaded original (pre-saved) version. Oopsie. I hate when that happens.

I've learned to set my file view settings to "details" in Windows Explorer so that I can see the date and time of the last save as I'm browsing for the file to upload. It helps most of the time.

I don't rely on Spell Check and Grammar Check though. They're wrong more than I am so I don't take their word for it. I use them as a red flag and go from there if I see those squiggly lines in MS Word.

Don't feel bad Patches, those darned commas trip me up too!