First Serial Rights

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

braxton

First Serial Rights

Post by braxton »

Why isn't there an option to sell first serial rights? Full rights seem to me particularly disadvantageous to authors, particularly at the rates they are commonly sold for online.

Selling first rights would offer buyers unique content (for a time, and at a premium) while retaining the hope to authors of some residual income from reprint (usage) rights. Since everything moves at "Internet speed" these days, perhaps the first serial rights could come with a specified length of embargo time before the piece could be resold.

Braxton Ponder
REason

Print vs. Web

Post by REason »

I see your point and understand your comments; however, most of the writing here is targeted for web sites. I will even go so far as to say that search engines are one of the driving factors for articles. Search engines don't take into consideration first serial rights. One of the key components that search engines are looking for is unique web pages. If the page isn't unique search engines will categorize the page as supplemental (duplicate) and will not be displayed in normal results.

In the case of first serial rights as applied with search engines - the customer would pay a premium price in the beginning and be potentially penalized at a later date by the search engines. It is my opinion that most people would prefer to obtain unique or full rights. Budget constraints are probably the primary reason for customers to purchase use rights. In some small companies article purchasing comes out of their marketing budget.

I don't want you to get the impression that all of the writing is for the web - there is some that goes customers for print. I believe that this is the minority though. Perhaps Ed or someone can add some points or clarify any hazy areas.

I hope this answers your question. You can always get additional information through the search engine help forums. I know I could spend days in those forums - they are so interesting!