A better way to track sold articles

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

eekane

A better way to track sold articles

Post by eekane »

I recently googled to search for articles we have sold. I found only two, and both were bought by the same customer. The customer bought one for usage, and one for unique, but took full rights liberties. Though he/she added our name at the end of the article, one was altered slightly, and the other was cut in half.

I have already appealed to support on cc about this, but I was wondering whether cc could give authors a better way to find their articles (perhaps in the form of a website address) after they are sold for usage or unique licenses. An author will be much more protective of his/her work, and I'm sure cc doesn't have the time to police the internet for customers abusing licenses.

Perhaps it is small peanuts, but for someone starting out it's a big deal. We are setting up a website and would like to provide links to our sold pieces (and I assume that is a perfectly acceptable practice, please correct me if I am wrong). If our article is cut in half it is a very poor representation of our work. Providing the author with a buyer's website address should make the buyer a bit more reluctant to tweak without paying full rights. I should think that the buyer would be grateful as well for a link to his website from the author's.