Private requests to multiple writers

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Celeste Stewart

Private requests to multiple writers

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Is there a way to automatically indicate if a private request has gone out to multiple writers? I have one where the guy said in his request that it was going out to several writers and that was nice information to know. I have another one that I suspect is going to several writers, but the customer hasn't said as much (though I have asked and am waiting for clarification of which articles are still available). It's not common, but it has happened a few times that I know of.

Just a little automated line saying that the request is going to other writers would be fine.

It's not that I want assurances that I'm the only one and the job is a sure thing or anything like that. It's just my schedule is so overloaded that I'm at the point where I'm turning work away. If I knew that I was just one of a pool of several writers being considered, I'd likely respectfully decline so that I can focus on my other commitments. On the other hand, if a new customer likes my work and really wants me to write an article, I certainly want to help out. So knowing if a private request is singular or more of a semi-public request would be good to know.
HayleyWriter

Re: Private requests to multiple writers

Post by HayleyWriter »

I agree Celeste. I think I received the same request you are talking about. I did ask the customer and he confirmed it had been sent to a number of authors. I saw one article in the recently sold list today about the topic and now I do not know whether to write for the request or not. I feel exactly the same way - I'm turning down work at the moment, but I don't want to turn away a good customer who really does want me to write the article. Some indication if a private request is sent to multiple authors would indeed be helpful in this situation.

Hayley
Celeste Stewart

Sounds like the same customer. Just as I don't respond to public requests when I'm super busy, I'm not likely to respond to semi-private ones. I'd like to know how serious a private request is and perhaps how many wreters are being considered for a given assignment. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the opportunity to connect with a customer, but I do need to manage my workload and this information would be helpful.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

It would also help so as a writer, you don't tie up your articles in the private request que is you know the request is closed. I.e there is a request going out to multiple writers on underwater basket weaving, my work load or whatever doesn't let me notice it until 3 days after the request. I check the recently sold list and see 2 articles for underwater basket weaving sell, and the request was for 2, and I see it says "Private Request" right next to it. Now, I can write the underwater basket weaving articles and know to put them in the general circulation, or if I already wrote the articles, do the same. I too wouldn't mind being part of a seect group of writers for a request, but it would be helpful to know like you said so we can act accordingly, whatever that is for us and the request.
Ed

Post by Ed »

From what I can tell, only one person out of the handful of writers this went to has responded. I think there's still room to write for this request, but I can understand your hesitancy.

Thanks,
Ed
Celeste Stewart

When the customer sent me a note requesting that I write a specific article the other day (on an older semi-private request), I wrote back asking how soon he needed it and that I'd be able to work on it early this week. He said that was fine and didn't mention that he had asked others to write the same article. I knew the original request was semi-private and after writing one article and seeing that several other writers had written the same thing, having my article released after the holding period, I chose not to pursue the other topics. Not only that, I wasn't thrilled with the price for the complexity of the topics. When he sent a note specifically to me, asking me to write the topic, I thought that note was only to me. Now that the topic has been written by someone else and purchased, I know that's not the case. The new request is for three articles but who knows how many people were asked to write them?

If a customer wants to pick the articles from a pool or find out which writers are a good fit for his site, I think a public request is more appropriate than a group private request. I can see having a group of writers working on larger projects privately, but from an efficiency point of view, it would be better if writer A was assigned topics 1-5, writer B topics 6-10, writer C topics 11-15, and so on.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I agree with you and don't completely understand the motivation behind sending a request for three (or however many) articles to a group of authors. As in this case, it has had the effect of putting off a number of writers.
Celeste Stewart

I just sent the customer a note, bowing out of the request due to time constraints (which is my main reason for declining). The situation is a shame though as so many of us are wondering how serious he is about selecting our articles. Instead of writing the articles, we're wondering. Had he submitted a public request, he'd probably have more than enough articles to choose from by now and the writers will have known going in what the odds were.
Ed

Post by Ed »

I hear you. I've sent along a note to Support.
Elizabeth Ann West

I'm a little confused... was this subject matter ereaders? Sorry, I remember seeing a semi-private request a long time ago, and then I just got this private request that is for 3 articles, but I haven't seen anything on the subject sell. Not too upset if this the request all are talking about, I am happy to write on the subject. But would be helpful to know....
Celeste Stewart

Yes.
Elizabeth Ann West

Okay, I'm a little disappointed and now it makes sense why when I sent a note asking for clarification on if this was a true private request and when the articles were needed by, I haven't received a response yet. Oh well, the topic interests me, I think I will write the articles anyway, set them at my pricing standards ($20-$30 is a little low IMHO for 700 words), and put them into the general catalogue. Then, once they are approved, I can link them in a response and if the buyer wants them, great, if not, someone else looking for e-reader material will come along. Ebooks and ereaders are such hot items right now.
Sharion

Post by Sharion »

Tacking a newbie question onto this about Private Requests...

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the only difference between a public and private request is that the private request goes out to a handpicked selection of writers? It's not specific to a single writer and you are still writing on spec?

I had totally misunderstood the concept. The FAQ says: "This is the same as a public request, except that only one writer is responding to it."

I'd gotten it into my noggin that it was basically a pre-sold article.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Usually, the private requests go to ONE writer. You don't normally have to worry about a situation like the one being discussed in this thread if you happen to receive a private request.

Thanks,
Ed
Celeste Stewart

Normally private requests are made after a customer has purchased a few articles from a writer and the customer has decided he likes the writer's style, promptness, understanding of the topic etc. So, normally, yes, there's an expectation that the article will most likely be what the customer wants and then purchased.