Techie question - re: duplicate content

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

badass101

Techie question - re: duplicate content

Post by badass101 »

Hi all,

I'm ready to buy some content but I'm a bit worried. Google and the other search engines serve penalties to sites that show duplicate content. In the worst case scenario they will lower your sites ranking/drop you, and in the better cases they will keep one of the copies of the content and drop the rest.

With ConstantContent being a 'higher' ranked site than my own, I'm worried that if I buy content I'll get penalised for duplicates. I'm worried as the article(s) I want to purchase have a large chunk of the copy available for public display (so Google will see my site's article as a copy)

My questions are:

1) are search engines allowed to index the 'content' pages of CC?

2) if I purchase exclusive rights, does the content get taken down?

Basically, what are the ways around this?
I want to buy, but not if I'm going to loose out.

Cheers

Craig
southernrose

Post by southernrose »

Hi, Craig. I do know that if you purchase exclusive rights from an author, the article is removed from the site. I hope that helps. Good luck finding what you need!
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Hi Craig -

A couple things...

We don't display the full article we only show a couple paragraphs. So it wouldn’t be exact duplicate content in googles eyes.

Also if you purchase a Unique license (which it sounds like your looking for), the article is removed from the site. So if it is indexed in search engines it won't be by the time your site gets index with your new article.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by constant-content on Thu May 12, 2005 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Also to add a side bar.. Google doesn't drop people that have duplicate content. Its just not rated as high as unique content. a good example of this would be all the free articles on our site or other sites. They don't drop people for this, it just doesn't pull as much weight as unique content.