PMs Disabled?

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

carpesomediem

PMs Disabled?

Post by carpesomediem »

Private messaging has been disabled on this board.
Can I ask why this was disabled and whether or not it will be permanent or not?
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Hi -

We disabled PM's since writers (and non writers) were contacting customers. Sorry for this, but it has to be done. The only other option is to disable the customer forum.

Thank you
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

Oh, well, some people are just unprofessional. :evil:

Good thing it was done, though, I must say if people are going to pollute a system like that.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Sometimes I feel stupid, but I suspect in this instance it reaffirms I prefer honesty. It would never have occured to me to use Private Messaging to contact a customer.

Duh!
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

Melissa wrote:It would never have occured to me to use Private Messaging to contact a customer.
I thought about it, but I never did it, because if they wanted to hire contract workers they would go elsewhere.
Katie-Anne

Melissa

Post by Katie-Anne »

You and me both then Melissa! I get really ticked off when someone spoils something for others though by blatantly breaking the rules.

Katie-Anne
carpesomediem

Re: Melissa

Post by carpesomediem »

Katie-Anne wrote:You and me both then Melissa! I get really ticked off when someone spoils something for others though by blatantly breaking the rules.
Yeah. It's unfortunate, because I liked the ability to talk to a few writers on here about either things on the CC site or that came up related to here. It's so much easier to PM than to e-mail. C'est la vie!
Katie-Anne

Speak with other writers

Post by Katie-Anne »

The PM system was good for that. It gave us a way to communicate off the forums. I'm a freelance writer and so I'm often on job searches on the Internet - occasionally I see something and think hmmm I bet so-and-so at CC might be interested in that - but now I can't PM them. Would be good if we had a writer's only PM system so we can network etc. Please? Pretty please Chris?

Katie-Anne
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thank goodness I'm not the only one (even though I was certain I wasn't the only one).

Although I'm over it, I'm still slightly miffed about the legal article request from several weeks ago. (Hopefully I won't get into trouble for mentioning this!) The Web site owner saw one or two of my pieces and emailed CC about purchasing exclusive rights at a particular price, in addition to wanting more similar articles (about legal forms on their Web site). So, I started cranking out articles but no purchases. Later came to hear someone went to their Web site and allegedly made direct contact with the client. Ugh!
John Zee

Post by John Zee »

If what you heard is true, it shows a definite lack of ethics.

Any kind of end run like this is dishonest and cheats every writer here who adheres to the system.
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

I totally agree, John, but I'm sure customers did the same thing.

Would it be possible to separate the forum accounts through either permission masks or groups - one for writers and one for customers - they could check a box when they sign-up with the mod not being that difficult to implement. That way one group, the writers, could use the PM system while the customers would not or even vice versa.
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Okay.. I'll put PM's back on.

Melissa - I have contacted another person that may be interested. I have sent them a couple of your articles and I'm waiting for a response. That was a strange situation.

Thanks
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

constant wrote:Okay.. I'll put PM's back on.
Awesome! Thanks, Chris!
John Zee

Post by John Zee »

Chris:

Does that mean the same problems can occur? Or have you fiigured out a way to limit PMs to buyers and back?
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

You're a saint Chris! Thank you!