Allowing Cards and Posters

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

dawngordon

Allowing Cards and Posters

Post by dawngordon »

A suggestion, many people do not know how to use photoshop or a photoediting program. When I visit websites or read newsletters, sometimes I see the photograph looks like a poster. Wording over it. Framed, this sort of appearance.

Have you ever seen motivational posters in the office? Some place these on websites, and use them in newsletters. Or even for personal use like a scrapbook effect.

It is becoming hot in the market.

When you make these, you can use legal artwork, free legal public domain artwork, I have a rights to use these photographs as long as it is on a poster, card or some other format. As long as I am not selling the picture, or placing that photograph in a collection to keep. Such as website filled with pictures. This I do not do.

Now I am only letting you know, their is big money in this. People are looking for this sort of artwork to spruce op their websites, or print out their own cards...people want to print out their own cards.

I am only making a suggestion, to allow this sort of artwork for contribution, along with links that the author provides that the artwork or picture is allowed to be used. I have those links, and those rights.

Please let me know why this is not allowed here?
Last edited by dawngordon on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawngordon

Re: Allowing Cards and Posters

Post by dawngordon »

Now the fact you sell photographs, people might and could be, and probably would be interested, in placing them in frames. Online framing...

I just think you might be denying a good portion of that 35 percent
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

I am online in many forums, where people are requesting these sort of signature pieces, artwork with writing, and people are not even charging for this.

I am charging for this, because I most certainly am an artisan, and deserve to be paid for it.

The photographers were being generous with contributing to the CCO, and Public domain forums with allowing us to use them this way, to make money through this global recession,

I have to admit I was confused to be denied of this, because it is MEDIA
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

this is an example, this is legal for me to sell, that is elephant hair from a website that allows you to use their pictures for commerical or personal use, AS LONG AS IT IS poster or cards...

nothing I sent in was illegal
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

I have my own business, a card business, and banner ads etc.. but I would never place the business info on my profile

this is how I know it is legal, I most certainly researched it before starting my own business...

could you explain why this is not allowed to do here?
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi,
I doubt you'll have much luck in convincing CC to allow the reselling of images that you didn't create yourself - even if you have a legitimate right to republish those images. One reason that comes to mind is that this site, like most businesses, has a specific niche. CC sells original content much like an art gallery sells original paintings. If you want an original piece of artwork for your living room, you'd go to an art gallery; if you want an inexpensive print for your game room, you'd go to a place that sells mass market reprints. Both businesses have successful business models and a clientelle that expects a certain type of product.

CC's customers expect original content here because that's what CC specializes in. If a Webmaster wants original photos or articles, he knows that CC is an excellent place to find these works. On the other hand, if he's not concerned with originality, he'd go to sites where he can grab public domain or Creative Commons images and free article directories. CC used to allow free articles but has since decided that doing so wasn't a good fit for the CC marketplace.

I'm sure other issues exist as well such as verifying licensing and so forth. However, since the concept simply doesn't mesh with what CC's all about and is highly unlikely to be adopted because of that, these other issues are moot points.
Constant

Post by Constant »

Hi Dawngordon,
I was the one reviewing the images that you submitted. Though there are problems with collage creating and the use rights that are assumed by their creators, that was not necessarily the reason that they were rejected. Since you have chosen to ask your questions in public I will be as tactful as possible: we simply don't have a market on the site for the style of art you are producing. Feel free to keep submitting, and if we see something we like we certainly will post it. It is always important to keep getting better at your art form, and I am glad that you seem to have found venues for selling your work, but as it stands we may not be the right channel for your work.

Good luck.

David Kool
Product & Content Manager, Web Properties
http://www.Constant-Content.com
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

the use rights are covered to let you know...I would never steal an image sir, you mentioned that it could be questionable?

Um, I run a business, so I wanted to be direct with you that what I do is legal, let me get you the link of the rights from the pictures that I use...

the rest I understood, but please do not assume my business that I run, is doing anything illegal or wrong
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH IMAGE*AFTER IMAGES AND TEXTURES?
•you CAN modify our images and textures in any way you see fit
•you CAN use our images and textures in your own work, whether it be for personal or commercial use
•you CAN redistribute or sell our images and textures ALTERED OR UNALTERED as part of printed work (e.g. posters, cd-covers, postcards etc)WHAT CAN'T YOU DO WITH IMAGE*AFTER IMAGES AND TEXTURES?

•you CANNOT REDISTRIBUTE our images and textures as part of an online resource site like our own, i.e. use them to directly compete with us.

http://www.imageafter.com/terms.php
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

I appreciate your tactfulness, that is alright I do well with it on my own, I mean my own business. People enjoy what I do, and I get asked plenty to make them for them, so I appreciate your tack (grin) I also make business card templates that are unique, and can do animated font etc..

most websites need something that people will remember going too...I also do banner ads..
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

you said the word assumed, which is why I am posting the rules, I would never assume any rights, I make sure it is legal so that assume becomes positively unargumentable.
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

I also make webpages, I mean css and html coding

take a look at what I can do hehehe

http://thewitness.yuku.com

I convert coding to make it look like that...
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

I cater more to the creative and fun, not the boring business man who wants only two colors etc...

I cater to the ones who enjoy looking at something pretty

so I make yuku skins, I also make skins for ning
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

Feel free to come by site Mr Kool, you might read something interesting, maybe even something life changing (wink)

I move around quite a bit on the internet, the whole wide world can be reached this way...

My board also has multiple languages on it too...hehehe
dawngordon

Post by dawngordon »

that is not a business web page, that is my personal prophecy and fun page, not business, so I do not want you thinking I am promoting business or anything of the sort..I am merely sharing my skills, talents and gifts, although not wanted here at content