A thought I had

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SamSimmons

A thought I had

Post by SamSimmons »

I was noticing the number of articles that appear to be stolen from CC. I'm wondering if the thieves aren't taking a snapshot of the long summary and then using a program that translates text from images into actual text. There are several programs available that are capable of this. I was thinking, there has to be someway to watermark the text, perhaps by turning the text into an image an inserting a watermark, which I believe is possible using at least one of the various image processing libraries associated with php (the language in which this site is programmed in).

I realize however that a good thieve will almost always find a way around any precautions taken. Its just a matter of staying one step ahead!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sam
BarryDavidson

Re: A thought I had

Post by BarryDavidson »

The pics are "watermarked" and you can set a Google alert to notify you if the text is posted elsewhere on the web (check for the phrase in "Edit My Account"). Most would-be thieves don't even bother to convert the pics to text.