Counter offer?

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

nichewriter

Counter offer?

Post by nichewriter »

I sure wish there's a Counter Offer function for authors who use the Best Offer function for their articles so they could respond with a counter offer to buyers.

It made me think of this when I received a Best Offer a few minutes ago for a 1500-word article I have. The buyer offered a price for unique rights that's way below the price I set for usage price. Normally, I would've accepted the offer if it was for a 400- or 500-word piece, but I was pretty in-depth in this article and after CC commission, the net sale would be less than $30 for an article that took me about 2.5 hours to research and write. If I could counter his offer instead of reject it, I would have given him the article for $60 to $70 (the price range I could live with), and see if he accepts it or rejects it. At least with a Counter Offer function available to authors, we can still negotiate and make a sale at a price that both buyers and authors are really happy about.

Just my 2 1/2 cents :o)
HayleyWriter

Re: Counter offer?

Post by HayleyWriter »

Great idea! I know there have been times I have rejected an offer because it wasn't enough money for me, but would have accepted an offer that was still lower than my advertised price and higher than the first offer. However, I was unable to explain this to the customer who just received the rejection notice and never came back with another offer. Other times I have accepted the extraordinarily low offers but hated myself for selling so low later. In both cases, a chance to provide a counter-offer may have helped.

It would be lovely to have an opportunity to write a comment with a reason for the rejection / acceptance of an offer. This way you could reject an offer that is just too low, but explain why to the customer and suggest a price that is acceptable to both you and the customer. At the moment the 'negotiation' is one sided - with little choice for authors and no opportunity to explain our position to the customers. PLEASE CC can we have a way of either counteroffering or a small comments box with the reject / accept button to explain our position to the customers? This may generate more sales from the best offers!

Hayley
nichewriter

Re: Counter offer?

Post by nichewriter »

Hi, Hayley! I second your thoughts -- I've had to reject many best offers because they were just too low, but I would have settled for a price that was still lower than my set price if there was a way for me to explain to the buyer why I rejected their offer. It would be nice if every best offer rejection could be accompanied by a short explanation (I'd be happy with 255 characters even!), something like a rejection response to a $10 offer: "Willing to give unique rights to you for $15".