Dual categories

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

AnnM

Dual categories

Post by AnnM »

Hi Chris,

Would it ever be possible to have an article categorized into 2 categories at the same time? It seems as though it could broaden the interest in some articles that fall into different areas.

For example, I submitted one this morning on the law regarding dog bites - I put it under "Animals," but it could just as easily been categorized as "Legal" in the current schema.

Just a thought for your ever growing list of features for the future.

Ann
malward

Post by malward »

The same goes for one that I uploaded this morning. It was called, "Antiques in the Garden." Though I listed it under gardening, it could also have fit under antiques. I've wondered about the double categories before, but never got around to asking. Thanks Ann.
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

This is a good idea, but I would limit to two categories per article or even a main category and a sub-category to avoid "general" articles that should be listed in the General category solely.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Would having the same article in different categories be confusing for the buyer though?

Chris, is it possible to allow authors to move their content into a different category as new ones are created? For example, the birthday cake recipe I posted is in the General Recipes category, but there's since been a birthday subcategory added, and it would be handy to be able to move it over.
carpesomediem

Post by carpesomediem »

Carrie wrote:Would having the same article in different categories be confusing for the buyer though?
I think it would depend on the buyer as some would categorize different subjects as their outlook dictates.
REason

Dual Category Dilemma

Post by REason »

I too was thinking about this topic. The dilemma that this creates is mind wrenching. This is a battle that every web directory and portal struggles with. Have you ever seen DMOZ.org the "open directory site"? Gets pretty confusing when you have millions of links under different mulitple categories. The battle is between the easiest way to find stuff versus maintenance. There is no answer here other than to have a slick search engine.