A clarification

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

vjlenin

A clarification

Post by vjlenin »

what do you think should be the correct use for this term.

Log on: Enter a computer system using user name and password.

So, it should be "I could log on gmail" correct? It seems awkward if you say " I could log on to gmail". or "log in to gmail"

also, "logon page was not found" is correct.

One more thing: log on is a more professional and better word to use than log in. Your comments expected...
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

This may or may not be right, but it was what I was taught in my "Writing for Online" English 320 class.

Log In- is used when someone just wants access, to read, to peruse, to play, they can't actually change anything.

Log On- is used when the user log on to like a network, and has a personal space they can manipulate and save the changes. It also likely the user must stay logged on for a longer duration of time to accomplish multiple tasks.

Since many websites are now adding more and more functionality and profiles, the situation is getting grayer, but I suppose then you just go with the primary function of the logging, is it to manipulate or just use?

Every morning, I log on to my home network and then I log in the NYTimes.com so I can read the news.

I would classify gmail as a log in, since it is the view and send email, but the person has very little control over the look and functionality of gmail. Myspace.com and other similar websites are even trickier, but I suppose both could easily be used.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

I just want to add that I think it should always be "log on to" and "log in to" something (i.e. log on to the network, log in to Gmail, log in to Constant Content).

Thanks for sharing what you had learned, EAW. I'd never heard the distinction.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I still think it's a nuance most don't bother with. Only reason I still have it in my brain is my prof was particularly anal. I was glad when I didn't have to worry about her classes anymore. She was one of those "only 2 people will get an A becuase that is 10% of the class" teachers.