Allowing Buyers to Sell purchased articles on this site!

Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for the Authors/Writers accounts? Post them here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Add clause to "Full Rights"

Poll ended at Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 7

constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

Thea wrote:I thought one of the authors posted in a forum that she sometimes buys articles here, "cleans them up" and sells them again here.
Do the math..... You buy an article for $40 then you clean it up and resell it.... Because Constant Content takes 35% of that sale you would have to charge at least $54 for that same article to break even. Now you would want to make some money for your hassle of course so add another $10-$20 on top of that. Now that same $40 article is at $74, and no one is going to $74 for a article that as priced at $40.

The other scenario is what the original poster described, buying an article and using it then reselling the article for usage only. This way the buyer is hoping to sell a couple copies of the article as well as use the article for his/her own site. Now the problem with that is the content is no longer original once you sell it to a couple sites (even one), so it hurts the content you just purchased. On top of that people want original content so the odds that your going to sell a article that only allows a usage buy is slim.

Put all this together and you have a bad idea!
Thea

Post by Thea »

I wasn't complaining, I was just answering where someone said they hadn't ever heard of it happening.

I usually price my articles according to the guidelines, but a lot of the requests that include word count and price offering are not as high as the guidelines.

I have a hard time selling my stories, for whatever reason, so I'm just happy when one sells.
mattsterrr

Post by mattsterrr »

I never said I didn't enjoy it. :D I love writing and making a living from it was a dream for a long, long time. After struggling to find anything close to a reasonable paying contract I find myself overwhelmed at the minute because of the amount of stuff I'm selling through CC and because of my own site. I'm not complaining; far from it.

I'm riding the wave as hard and as fast as I can because I know the tide can turn at any minute. (so that's candy and surfing analogies covered, anyone got any other ideas? How about you can take a horse to water etc...)

But I'll tell you, I enjoy it a lot more now I'm getting paid handsomely. The point to this thus-far irrelevant post is that CC has a lot going for it for the huge majority of writers that use the site. There's everyone from part time writers doing it for the love of it (and the money, presumably) as well as full time writers who still love it, but also HAVE to do it for the money.

As J A pointed out, I'm not going to lose any sleep over the fact that there are several toilet brush articles (not through this site) that don't have my name on them. And, as a macho bloke (and English you may have guessed), of course, I'm not particularly concerned that a couple of lingerie articles I wrote may be published without my name.

I write, I get paid, I spend, I'm happy.

The Internet is so incredibly different to paper publications and for the most part that anonymity on the part of the writer. Webmasters try to build confidence from their customers by providing them with information. Companies certainly don't want to include my content on their sites with my name on it, because that is essentially promoting my knowledge of the subject and not showing off the benefits of the company itself.

I leave my stuff on here as long as it takes. Sometimes I find other customers ask me for articles on general topics I have on here, and I remove them, but for the most part they stay on until they sell. One of the things I love is forgetting about an article I've submitted and then some weeks or months down the line I get an email telling me it sold. By that point, it's like getting money for nothing.