Links to authors who message you via CC system?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Lysis

Re: Links to authors who message you via CC system?

Post by Lysis »

Debbi, I went way in the back of the title list and wrote about 20 on SQL server and syntax. I doubt I'm the only database person on DS, but apparently I'm one of the few because I always get database articles.

I proofed 2 writers' articles on CC. One sent me an article and it was exam week, so I couldn't get to it. I think I'm a better editor than writer. :D But, I think that's because it's so much easier to find others' mistakes than your own. I don't mind helping people either, but I definitely wouldn't touch articles being farmed out to a $1/article writer. Most of these are generated from software or written by someone who doesn't have a grasp on the English language. You'd wind up rewriting most of it. I guess if someone is willing to pay me the cost of writing an article, I'd do it.

I think you can trip up on some grammar rules and another writer can point it out and help you. I don't think CC is a place for writers who are learning, which is why I suggest places like Helium or Suite101. These places let you write about whatever you want, you get feedback, and you make a few bucks in the process. I'm certainly far from perfect, but I read something I wrote on Helium a couple of years ago, and I've definitely progressed. I'm embarrassed of my old stuff. :-/
nichewriter

Post by nichewriter »

Debbi wrote:One more question: What is a reasonable proofing rate to charge (in general)?
Debbi, I charge by the word, page, or hour depending on the proofreading work: $0.05 cents per word, $12 per page (250 words), or $60 an hour. I started out charging less than that several years ago when I started offering proofreading services, and gradually increased my rates as my proofreading portfolio expanded.
Ed

Post by Ed »

So many good points made in this thread. It made me smile. :)

I'd like to say that anyone who is producing "50 articles a day" isn't writing at all. This person is just putting words down on a page. Anyone can do that. We all know that there's MUCH more to writing.