Can We Please Not Have (Best Offer) In Article Title?

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

canywriter

Can We Please Not Have (Best Offer) In Article Title?

Post by canywriter »

I couldn't find an older thread on this, by Debbie, I think, about the "Best Offer" appearing in brackets along with the title. Please, please, can it be more subtle - like the earlier "make an offer" under the price? It feels so like "sale, sale" - this is mildly inferior stuff so you can have it for a song...

Is there any reason I can't see why it should be included in the title? I think it really, really takes away from the meaning, the impact, and the whole look and feel of the article?

I find myself thinking really hard about using the best offer system, which I believe is a nice way of letting the customer know I am willing to negotiate, but I really don't want to shout it even before he reads the title!!

Any other views on this?
Debbi

Re: Can We Please Not Have (Best Offer) In Article Title?

Post by Debbi »

Yeah, I said last week I think that it made me feel like my article was the "blue light special". "Hey, this is damaged or discontinued stock so it's going cheap!" I don't see any need for it to be screamed out at the customer either. The "make offer" button is sufficient. Also, if they have to look at the prices to see if there is a "make offer" button, they may be more likely to pay the prices listed instead of having "sale sale" firmly in their minds before they even see the prices.

Customers can already search by price range, but maybe a "Best Offer" search option could be added to the Advanced Search. Then those customers who really want to search for the lowest possible prices could filter out articles that didn't offer a pricing option. I don't konw if this would work against authors who don't use Best Offer or not. On the otherh and, it's possible that some authors would use Best Offer more if it wasn't emblazoned in letters 10 feet tall in the title. :)

Debbi
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

What they said....ditto!
Phil

Post by Phil »

Agreed. I like the option of offering someone the chance to make an offer, but (best offer) looks tacky.
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Yep we can certainly move the best offer out of the title. I agree it's not necessarily the best spot to have it. Any suggestions on where a better place to put that info would be?

-jrichards
Constant-Content
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

hmmm I'd have to see what it looks like (we all know people like pretty LOL), but to me it makes sense if it's in the section under the pricing. Something like:

$15 use
$20 unique
$25 fullrights
(Or Best Offer)
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

JR,

The "make offer" button on the article preview page is probably enough, and if the Advanced Search is expanded to include Best Offer as a filter, that would work for the buyers wanting to search for those articles only. Other than that, maybe a tag on the article preview page like the "Exclusive Rights Available" notice wouldn't be too bad. I think we just don't want it in the article's title bar.

Maybe you could even have little icons with <alt> tags or a legend tht explains what they mean: like a symbol for exclusive rights,one for best offer, one for premium article, etc. that would appear on the article preview page or maybe at the far right of the article title (though my personal preference is to keep the titles as clean as possible).

Guys, any other ideas?

Debbi
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

While you're at it, would it be possible to have only the available rights and pricing display? Like, if only usage is available, don't show the Unique: N/A etc.?

Ok, ok, I know I'm a nit-picker! I am driven to go for clean and succinct! Sorry :oops:

:) Debbi
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

JR

Thanks for the prompt and posiiive response! I feel the Make Offer button which was there earlier under the pricing worked well enough - subtle and yet noticeable. Maybe just rollover text that says something like "The author is willing to consider your best offer for this article" or something to that effect?

Or maybe nothing at all but the Make Offer button.

Thanks again for being so proactive - it's really great that our suggestions are heard - and acted upon.

CW
Phil

Post by Phil »

I never saw the original "make offer" button. But, it sounds like a better option. I also like the idea of showing only the rights that are available. - Phil
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

I just found that the (Best Offer) has been taken out of the titles! I was fiddling around with some old titles and found the best offer is back where it used to be earlier, discreet but visible. Thanks, cc! That's a real relief.

Still there on at least one title in the home page, though. Others notice it in their titles??

CW
Last edited by canywriter on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

CW,

I see it on three articles on the front page. When I edited one of my article to Best Offer, the (Best Offer) didn't appear in the tiel, just the "make offer" option by the Buy Now button. Yay! Maybe you have to uncheck that and then re-check it to get the (Best Offer) off your title?

Debbi
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

Debbi

Didn't appear for me too when I tried it just now with a newer article. Yay! And yeah, maybe an uncheck and check needs to be done to get it off the ones that were in place in the more recent articles?

Am I glad it's off - I might go back there and use the feature again now.
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Just wanted to let you know that this change has been made in the listings now. You'll notice that the big "(Best Offer)" has been removed from the titles. And there has been a little note added down near the pricing to indicate articles where people have indicated that they are willing to entertain offers.

Just wanted to let you know that we're listening and trying to keep the site improving. So if you've got suggestions please let us know.
-jrichards
Debbi

Post by Debbi »

Yes, thanks, Support!

We really appreciate your attention to us authors and all the improvements made recently (like the search terms and the best offer).

So...now that you've encouraged our begging behaviors, any progress on the press release verbeage?

:grin:

Debbi