Recently Sold Content

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

canywriter

Recently Sold Content

Post by canywriter »

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this or this thread already exists - couldn't find it when I tried search.

Would it be at all possible to have, say, a week wise or month wise database of recently sold content? Like a drop down menu where you click on the week or month and the list appears? Maybe even a consolidated list with only title, category, price and licenses? Depending on quantum of data, it could be restricted to one month or three months or even a week?

I find this one of the most useful features of the site since it's a great way of keeping in touch with trends and prices, and it's a shame that unless I log in every few hours, I miss out on the 'hot and happening'...

Anybody else has thoughts on this?

Canywriter
CaroBeth

Re: Recently Sold Content

Post by CaroBeth »

I'm new here, and I would really like that. As you said, it's a good way to keep up with which topics are selling and for what prices.
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Hi Canywriter,

This is definitely the right spot for a discussion like this. I can certainly understand where you're coming from. It's hard to know how to price articles without a good idea of how the articles that are selling are being priced. We certainly could create a monthly round up tab that showed the average price of articles, the hot categories and the hot licensing types.

I would love to hear what some of the other writers on the site, think about creating some more summary information for what's been selling on the site and if they would like to have something like that.

-jrichards
Constant-Content.com
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

A summary would be great or even a simple list of titles sold with their selling prices that we could scroll through. Summarizing an average price might be tough though as the range is so vast from $3 to over $1000. Maybe throw out the lows and highs so that they don't overly sway the average one way or the other. Or disregard the usage and private requests altogether for this calculation?
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

I agree that having more metrics for what is selling would be great. I'd like to be able to see a few months for a trend, if that's possible. Filtering by use/unique/fullrights would be useful, I think. Also, price, of course, and the area where the doc was found.

Also, (I know this is asking a lot, but just a suggestion), it would really be nice if I could see a list of my documents with the view count listed without clicking the edit button. I think it would be helpful to see what docs I have in a certain directory, the views and then how many docs have sold in that directory as a comparison. This lets me know if I should be raising/lowering my price or if the topics are just not that popular.

For clients, I haven't seen their interface, but do you guys have a "watch list" for them? I was thinking that they could put docs in a watch list to see if they sold or if the writer decides to drop the price, they can come back and purchase it.

Just some ideas.
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Hi Lysis,

Thanks for the ideas. Adding the hits to the table of articles in the "My Content" section should be reasonably easy. I'll schedule that for the upcoming release.

As for the other ideas, I'll have to do a little more planning for those features as they seem like they're going to be a bit tougher to implement.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

Hi jrichards,

I hope they fit your goals for the site. I am always full of ideas even plenty of bad ones. LOL I love brainstorming, so you open my floodgate of opinions if ya ask. It was always my favorite part of web development. I was in the web development world for 10 years as an asp then a c# programmer, so I know what users think is a simple change isn't always as simple, so I completely understand. Then you get the programmer types who think their little wordpress blog certifies them as an expert on how a multimillion dollar infrastructure is run and they tell you how to program your application. Those are the worst, so I reeeeeeeally try not to do that when I expound on my genius ideas. LOL

It's nice that ideas are acknowledged here, though. :) Thanks for thinking of us lil' ol' users. :D
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

I'd agree with Celeste - a simple list of titles sold with their selling prices that we could scroll through would be great - categories would be great - but titles would be great since it would give us a very good idea of the variants and angles to a topic that have already been done.

Regards
Canywriter
Celeste Stewart

The nosy part of me wants to know which writers were involved too, but I think that's just me being nosy and curious. It is nice to see who's selling what though I'm not sure if there's a real value there or not.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

I’d like to see a list of my current prices with my content along with the number of hits as suggested. It would make it easier to gauge whether the topic/price or simply the topic is creating the traffic to the article. If you can implement this as well, thanks in advance.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

[quote="Celeste Stewart"]The nosy part of me wants to know which writers were involved too, but I think that's just me being nosy and curious. It is nice to see who's selling what though I'm not sure if there's a real value there or not.[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's being too nosy, and I'll explain why.

You see, certain authors have a firmer grasps on subjects than others. On the reverse, some authors are better at the technical aspects of writing. Depending on who and what I'm seeing on the recently sold list, I can make a better determination if I'd like to tackle one of those subjects from a different angle. Basically, am I willing to write an article about medical subjects which are selling well this month (hypothetical), or should I leave it alone because others know far more than I? Sure I can write basic articles based on other's research, but I'm still not in the medical field.

Or...

Do I want to write an article based on what I've done for my own health? I take Dilantin every day of my life, and have for the last nineteen years. So perhaps I can write an article from another perspective.

I certainly won't be writing articles stem cell research from a more personal perspective.
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Hi!

I just opened up my content list and voila - there is a new column with the hits, so you don't have to edit every article to find them out! It's great that CC listens to us. Fantastic improvement. Every day, CC just gets better and better (and it was already great to start with!) Thanks jrichards and the support crew!

Hayley
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

Hayley you beat me to this post!! I was all ready to submit this post and then I get the message that someone else has already updated this post. I'm just not fast enough, sigh... :-)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for all the input on this topic. I've done a small rollout today which adds the hits to the My Content section.

Thanks Word Gypsy for the thoughts about adding the prices. The space is starting to get a little crowded but I'll see what I can do about getting those in there as well.

With regards to sharing more information on what has been purchased site wide. I personally favor having some kind of aggregated stats. Grouping the months sales by category and price point and displaying them as percentages. Somewhere that people can check in quickly and get some information to help them tailor their topics and asking price to the current conditions, because I feel that at some point scrutinizing every title is a bit overwhelming.

-jrichards
canywriter

Post by canywriter »

Hi JD

Thanks for the hits on the my contents page!

I still think that while an aggregate might add value, the meat is in the individual title, since that is what will give us little clues and pointers. I actually started an excel sheet where I would copy and paste the titles from the recently sold content and found it very useful, only couldn't keep up with the need to log in at least a couple of times a day to be current with the sales. Would it be possible to have at least a daily list that gets taken off at the end of the week???

Canywriter
Celeste Stewart

I like the titles because there's a big difference between the Technology category selling X amount of articles and knowing that the bulk of those articles are on "Bing" or "computer viruses" or whatever. The titles tells us what niche is hot at the moment. If the category is well balanced with no obvious trend, that tells us something too such as that general topics in that category are doing well. If I saw that articles on Bing were hot, I'd write about Bing. If I saw a general mix of technology articles, then I'd write about something that sparks my interest.