Spellchecker

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

jak

Spellchecker

Post by jak »

Please, please can we have the spellchecker back in the content details box on the submission page. I used to rely on the red underscores to pick up my US spelling errors, as I naturally draft in UK spelling.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Spellchecker

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Was there ever a spellchecker there?
jak

Post by jak »

If you are a super speller, perhaps you never saw a red underscore. It didn't give me the answers, but I could always see what needed changing. And I recommended this as a final check to other authors from the UK in the forums.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I seriously have never seen that here. While I'd like to think I'm a super speller, I do write enough articles with words that would be flagged like "oggsezjeuld.dll" file. Maybe it's a Web browser thing? Interesting and mystifying.
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

Firefox can be set to automatically spell check. There is no setting like that in IE, but there is a browser add-on which can help. Do a search for "ieSpell" or go to http://www.iespell.com/download.php.

It's not perfect, but I use it from time to time when I'm unsure about the spelling of certain words.
jak

Post by jak »

I used to use Firefox and have changed to Chrome after a recent disaster that necessitated cleaning my hard drive, so perhaps Celeste is right about it being a browser thing.
Jegi

Post by Jegi »

Hi

I am also from the UK and I have never been aware of a spell checker on the submission page either. Jak, can you not just check your work with your computer spell checker before copying and pasting it in to the area? If you are using Word, you can obviously change the spell check from UK to US if you wish to. Constant won't penalise you anyway for using UK spelling.

Jane
BarryDavidson

Post by BarryDavidson »

From the beta testers I've talked to, Chrome isn't that great of a browser - compare it to the first release of IE7.
REason

Post by REason »

Firefox does have an add-on tool (dictionary) that does work like a spell checker on screen for forms. It is not a web site thing but a browser plugin. It is handy!
Constant

Post by Constant »

There has never been a spellchecker on any of the pages on the site. Modern Browsers do often have spell checkers, so that is probably what you are missing with the change in browsers.
jak

Post by jak »

Thanks for the confirmation, Constant.