Constant Content Gets an Update

Keep Involved in Planning Changes to the Site. Have your Voice Count.

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

BarryDavidson

Re: Constant Content Gets an Update

Post by BarryDavidson »

I know you guys have worked hard on this "image" change, but... There's a word I'm looking for, but since it isn't nice I'll just say, "Not a good look."
Lor

Post by Lor »

Great new site. Kinda freaked me out last night. While I was taking my sweet time writing a short summary, the changeover happened. After I hit the submit button, I was suddenly in a different world. It's a really bright and cheery world. You did a fantastic job, CC.

Bless you Hayley. Yes, I would have thought so too. Gardening is my thing, but I do show up in Landscaping. The thing is, it seems to take the last subject in the stream of subjects clicked when the article is submitted, rather than the key subject which is gardening. I think the first subject chosen should be the most important on the expertise list, but I'll stop at gardening with my submissions from now on. I would really like to be there. I also show up in History which is another love. But I don't show up in writing and I think I should. Doesn't really matter. Once we writers learn how these categories have been re-thought or organized, we'll have new goals, other than the top ten. Baby steps.

Lorraine
HayleyWriter

Post by HayleyWriter »

Absolutely, I love the fact the new website design gives authors more goals and more chances to show up on at least one "top ten" list, besides the most prolific or the best sellers, which can take a long time to get on those lists. As Lor said, once we authors get the hang of the new streamlined categories, we will definitely enjoy seeing our name on the expertise group lists for particular subjects. I didn't look in landscaping Lor, but I am glad you are there! It is a terrific new look, and I think the website will be very popular. I also think it is more exposure and more encouraging for newer authors. Once more, the new website design looks great. I think that some of the minor issues will be sorted out very soon and the overall concepts are wonderful. I hope the customers like the new website too.

Hayley
topdycke

Post by topdycke »

Wow, wasn't I suprised when I logged onto Constant Content this morning. What a change and shame on me for not reading the Site Renovations thread on a regular basis. I've not had a chance to check things out thoroughly, but I'll get to it. I like the logo or was that the logo from the previous red and brown layout. That just shows you how observant I am.

Nice job!

T
CRDonovan

Post by CRDonovan »

I've just taken a brief look around, but I really like the changes that have been made. Very polished.
dsletten

Post by dsletten »

I guess I'm not as excited about the new changes as much as everyone else is. I find the light blue background and the blue titles of the articles are difficult to read, especially if you've been reading the page for a little while. I'm thinking of customers who are searching the site and reading title after title; after a while their eyes will go crazy. I'm sure I will get used to the rest of it, but to tell the truth, I liked the bold colors and the design of the former version. This new style looks a little soft, not serious, not as professional. Sorry. :(
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Suggestion: On the page that lists the articles, the article headline is too subtle in blue while the bold black draws the eyes to the word "category." It might be better to have the article headline in the bold black text and the word "category" in the blue. You'd still have the nice color contrast, but the eye would be directed to the article headlines rather than a single, less relevant word.
eek

Post by eek »

It took me a while to absorb the changes and find navigational cues. I'm happy the license identifier will be restored for authors to view.

I think it's worth mentioning that I miss paging through articles in the order they have been submitted. I enjoyed looking through what others have written, but now there's only one page of ten or so, and they seem to shuffle in a strange order. Have I missed a navigational button? Wouldn't that random browsing garner a few sales from customers before they start searching for what they came for?

Also, I wonder if, when submitting anything, it is now obsolete to choose blog, tutorial or review as the type? When I click on review or blog found in light blue at the bottom of Home, those pages are empty. My book review (accepted today) was put in latest articles, and a category was chosen for it: Recreation. People who might be searching for book reviews in recreation probably won't want Fieldwork. (But then again, there's that random thing...) Do I need to delete and resubmit?

Like Suzy, the image on my profile page was something weird. Just a tip for other authors to go check your photos/icons if you have one.

Aside from all that, bravo C-C on the updated site and smooth transition!
Emma
eek

Post by eek »

Addendum:
Now I see why Recreation was the chosen category, because books are a sub-category beneath it.
em
TroyPankey

Post by TroyPankey »

Wow! Dropped by to check on my account and bam! Looks somewhat like Associated Content; however, we all know the difference, even if the colors are similar. Should you decide to revamp again, remember blue or black on a light canary yellow still stands as the best color combination for remembering what's being viewed on it. Other than that, the new look certainly looks better than the old. Go CC.
Elizabeth Ann West

Post by Elizabeth Ann West »

I love the new streamlined categories! I always hated about trying to figure out which category an article should be in when there were too many similar ones. That alone made submitting an article this morning a breeze. Took only about 5 minutes.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Still love the new format. It's set up like a store now. Well-organized. Very professional and tidy.

But there is one thing I'd like to see. I remember Ed saying a while back that most people search via category, rather than author. That was in relationship to new authors who were concerned their work wouldn't be visible until they had a few sales. But now, the way it's set up, there may be a good chance potential customers will click on authors with the expert list front and centre, and take if from there. With that in mind, I'd love to see a search button within the writer's profile page that includes only that writers work as well as an inclusive search button. For instance, if someone were to search "computer " expert, clicked on an author, got to the author's page, he'd have to pour through 100's of articles to find a single computer article. I think it might be frustrating and I'd love to see this. It would complete the steps the customer is lured into taking.

Just my two cents.
Lor
jrichards

Post by jrichards »

That's a great idea Lor.

I'm writing it into the development plan right now. I'll have to do some thinking about where we put it but I think "Search AUTHOR's Articles" Functionality would be a great addition.

Thanks!
jrichards.
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

I only just saw the site update today, and haven't quite had a chance to explore all the details. My first reaction is - wow, this is a much cleaner and more elegant look! Thanks!

I'm sure I'll come up with nitpicky things to say given time. But this was my first thought.
Lor

Post by Lor »

Oh, good. :) Hope it can be worked in. Thanks for mulling.
Lorraine