Problems Accessing Inline Comments

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

TracyEnright

Problems Accessing Inline Comments

Post by TracyEnright »

Hi All

I'm having a frustrating time accessing inline comments at the moment. The problem seems to be that I can scroll through my article but the column with the inline comments remains static which means that I can't see comments that apply after the first 18 or 20 lines of the article. This is annoying to me and probably even more annoying for the poor editors since I can't address all their comments.

Does anyone have a fix or way around this, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Tracy
Pellucidean

Re: Problems Accessing Inline Comments

Post by Pellucidean »

The comments seem to be a little wonky and sometimes get 'stuck' to the side, but I've always been able to at least see all of them. Maybe try a different browser?
TracyEnright

Post by TracyEnright »

Thanks Pellucidean

I've tried a different browser and unfortunately it's no different. In the meantime, I've lost the comments altogether in an article I need to amend so I feel like I'm flailing around in the dark a little bit. Oh well, just have to keep plugging away at it I suppose.
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

I think they need to fix/change the system, though. I can see the comments, but they don't line up correctly at all. Frequently it's hard to tell what the editors are referring to, and I have to go through the article line by line, trying to figure out which sentence their comment could be referring to. It hasn't happened yet, but at some point there's going to be a comment whose origin I won't be able to identify at all, so I'll have to resubmit without correcting the mistake.
TracyEnright

Post by TracyEnright »

I've had that problem already and been told not to resubmit an article at all because I hadn't addressed all the comments because I couldn't work out where the problem was. I know it's frustrating for the editors because it looks like I'm not listening to them but it's just as frustrating for me because I can't pinpoint the problem (and learn from it) and I'm losing articles because of it. I've emailed support and hopefully they'll be able to help. Fingers crossed!

Tracy
Pellucidean

Post by Pellucidean »

You could try including a note to the editor in the Short Summary. Some people on this forum have mentioned that as a way to communicate with the editor, though others have said they got scolded for doing so. Recently I tried it because there was an issue I was worried the editor would think I was ignoring, and I didn't get in any trouble. I think at the very least it would be a better option than having the editors thinking you're ignoring their instructions.
TracyEnright

Post by TracyEnright »

Thanks Pellucidean
I have tried putting a comment in the comments box but I will try your suggestion about putting something in the short summary box. I have emailed but support but haven't heard anything back yet. I guess I'll have to keep plugging away!