Putting in a byline

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SuzanneBosworth

Putting in a byline

Post by SuzanneBosworth »

I may have got the wrong end of the stick when uploading some articles recently. I understood that you weren't supposed to put a byline anywhere - in the title, the short summary or in the submitted piece. I've now read that if you don't include a byline, a customer who buys an article for usage isn't required to use a byline if it's not included.

:?

Where do I put a byline when uploading articles? In the short summary or in the longer piece?
PaulMaplesden

Re: Putting in a byline

Post by PaulMaplesden »

I always put a byline directly under the title, in the article itself, for example:

How to Expertly Summarize a Document
By Paul Maplesden

Learning how to summarize a document...
SuzanneBosworth

Excellent. Thank you, Paul. I shall go and edit them right now.
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Thank you Paul, I was wondering how to do this and peeved that we kind of have to offer usage only. So I took down all 19 articles and resubmitted them with the byline as you suggested doing it. Lets hope the editors put the articles through without a hitch or too much of a fuss. :?
SuzanneBosworth

Oooh. Is there an issue with bylines? What have I missed? You'd need your byline for usage, surely. ?? :shock:

Plus if someone buys the license outright, they just take your byline off, surely.

OK I'm going to stop calling you Shirley.
Word Gypsy

Post by Word Gypsy »

If you want your byline included for usage or unique license, include it in the long summary. If the article is purchased for full rights, the customer will simply take the byline off. :)
ReneeF

Post by ReneeF »

Word Gypsy wrote:If you want your byline included for usage or unique license, include it in the long summary. If the article is purchased for full rights, the customer will simply take the byline off. :)
i tried that, it got deleted when I hit save and overwritten by the content in the editor.