Similar articles

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Celeste Stewart

Similar articles

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hi, just wondering if you can write similar articles. For example, let's say I write an article about improving customer service. Next, can I write a second article using some of the same ideas from the first article as I customize the info for a particular type of business? Then can I do it again for another type of business? These articles would be distinct from each other but might have a few common features. It's not like I would just be substituting the word dentist for auto mechanic. So long as I'm the original author for all three articles I'm assuming I can use my own material as I see fit but am unsure how CC or the customers look at it. Thanks for any insight!
Dorothy Edison

Post by Dorothy Edison »

Hi Celeste,

Interesting question. I would think that, as long as the articles are positively distinct from one another, it should be okay. Just as long as you don't "plagiarize yourself."

However, why not capitalize on research that you've done? For example, I wrote several supplement articles and was thinking about taking that information and consolidating it into one article about supplements that have similar effects.

I'm sure someone else will be able to shed more light on this subject.
DE
hurricane_sh

Post by hurricane_sh »

I for one don't like the idea. I found an article by chance which was very similar to the one I bought here, although it may be unique from search engine's point of view, but obviously a rewriting of the original article - the same concept, the same structure, the same figure, no any extra info. For sure, I will ignore the articles from the same author in the future.
candicep

Hi

Post by candicep »

It's fine as long as your new article is truly different and unique from another. As writers, it's inevitable that we will get similar requests from different customers. So, learning to find new ways to write about the subject would be wise. You can always add a few new angles to any subject too! Same concepts, but with new twists.

As mentioned above, don't plagiarize yourself. Be careful not to use identical statements in a similar article. This would definitely turn off customers.

Thanks, and hope this helps! :-)

Candicep
constant-content
Site Admin

Post by constant-content »

As Candice said be sure not to plagiarize yourself, if you run your new article through copyscape.com and it find your other article you pretty much plagiarized yourself. If done correctly it can be done but be careful here.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Makes sense! Thanks so much.