Making a living writing online

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Dr. Kristie

Making a living writing online

Post by Dr. Kristie »

I'm curious as to how many of you make a full time living writing online? I've been writing on various venues including Constant Content and I can see how with a bit of dedication you could make a full time living. Any comments?

Kristie :)
audrabianca

Post by audrabianca »

I'm trying really hard. So far I can't quit my day job.
Celeste Stewart

Post by Celeste Stewart »

I quit my day job last January :) It's definitely been a good move for me.
Isildae

Possible

Post by Isildae »

I have a friend who writes full-time and makes a living from it but she works very hard. For me it's a part-time endeavour. I do other casual work which - currently - pays better and if I was going to work full-time hours, it would be more financially viable for me to do what I'm trained for (Accountant) but I prefer writing.

It might look like an easy way of making money on the surface but, as any successful writer will tell you, if you're doing it just for the money, you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons.
candicep

Writing full time

Post by candicep »

I've been writing full time from home for about 2 years now. It's been very rewarding financially, but is also very stressful at times. It can be mentally stressful and rewarding all at the same time and it does drain you when you're very busy writing. But, it's well worth being able to stay home with my kids and to earn great money while doing so!

The key to doing this full time is you have to write a lot... especially if you're doing Web content writing such as what's offered on Constant Content.

Make a goal to write 5 to 8 articles per day 5 days a week and submit them for requests and you'll see a lucrative income with CC if the customers like your writing. Choose subjects that you enjoy, but don't be afraid to dive in with other subjects that seem less appealing. These can sometimes be your best subjects once you learn about them.

If you can write very good quality articles, then you won't have to worry so much about price wars. Charge what you need to charge to make a living. If the customer doesn't want to pay for quality, then leave the article for another customer who's willing to pay for what it's worth.

I found since my writing career began that most customers that are easy to work with don't mind paying more for quality writing.

Good luck... and hope this helps! :-)

Candicep
freelanceprowriter

Post by freelanceprowriter »

I´ve been writing full-time for the past year and after just a couple of months, I was earning enough to support my family. My husband quit his dreaded teaching job in the mornings to stay home and look after our boys in the morning while I write, and he is working as a musician at night.

I should probably mention that we live in Guatemala, so the cost of living is a bit lower, but still, I have earned enough in the past few months to build a three room house! :D