Old articles - should I highlight it's pre-pub to editors?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

SuzanneBosworth

Old articles - should I highlight it's pre-pub to editors?

Post by SuzanneBosworth »

Hi all

Am amassing some old content for which I retain copyright and want to re-sell. I've just submitted one and changed the original article a little to pep it up. Have offered usage only of course as many phrases will still show up in Copyscape.

However I've just had a ghastly thought. Should I have mentioned that it's a re-purposed article when I submitted? I'm going to delete it until I know for sure.

Thanks!
Lysis

Re: Old articles - should I highlight it's pre-pub to editor

Post by Lysis »

If you're a new author, I would not submit something that's been copied all over. There is no proof that you're the original author.
SuzanneBosworth

Thanks. I had checked the web for any copies or content phrases and it hasn't been scraped. My original article is the only one out there and has my real name on it. I've now added a note to say what its origin is. There's no way I'd let something through if it had been splashed all over the hackers' websites out there. Heh!
SuzanneBosworth

However, if it's a CC policy not to allow pre-published bylined articles I'll delete my submission. I had a search but couldn't find anything to suggest that but I wanted to be sure.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

If your copy is the only one that shows up, then you should be fine. I don't know how these other plagiarism software apps work. I know Copyscape is one of the few places that has an agreement that allows them to scrape Google, but CC doesn't use Copyscape.
SuzanneBosworth

Thanks. I use two, sometimes three to make absolutely sure and they've not let me down yet over the years. All I can find is my own original article.

I found a note in the forum on another thread that says using your own pre-published articles is OK, so I've answered one of my own questions now. Still, it always makes sense to check that no slimy little plagiarising rodent has pinched them.