How do you girls and guys manage revisions?

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Lysis

How do you girls and guys manage revisions?

Post by Lysis »

I've never been asked for revisions before. A customer purchased my article, and he is asking for revisions. He mentioned "several" which scares me a bit. I don't mind doing a few revisions but a major overhaul is not what I plan for when I write for CC. But, I don't mind doing some changes if it makes him happy.

Anyway, how does that work? How does the CC system handle revisions?
stelle

Re: How do you girls and guys manage revisions?

Post by stelle »

I would find out what the revisions are. If they aren't too time-consuming, I would do one set of revisions for free. But any more than that, and I think that I would tell him that the price will have to change to reflect the extra time.

You might not get any more private requests for that buyer - but do you really want private requests from a buyer who will require multiple revisions? Like you, I don't plan on doing revisions once an article has been accepted by CC. While the pay here is very good by content site standards, it doesn't pay the freelancing fees that I would expect for something requiring lots of back-and-forth with a client.
Lysis

Post by Lysis »

That's what I'm thinking too, so I will just find out what is involved. He said his CC account manager told him that's how it's done, so I assumed there was some kind of revision system. I've never been asked for revisions, so I wasn't sure how it worked.

Thanks for the help!
J. A. Young

Post by J. A. Young »

I'm asked from time to time and usually it's as simple as I let an Americanism slip through something meant for a Canadian audience or they want me to include a hyperlink. I've never had a problem from any customer after a revision so I'd say it just makes for good pr for you. With white papers it goes without saying; in fact, I offer up front to tweak a substantial work so that they feel comfortable and don't feel like they have to pay a large sum for work that's only 3/4 on the money. I think one revision is fair in most cases--particularly for solicited work. --J