Stupid question

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

Isabelnewth

Stupid question

Post by Isabelnewth »

I need to write an article for a request in .txt format but I don't know what that is...can an article written in Word be translated to .txt? How ? Why? This could be a topic for an article....Thanks to anyone who can help!
SJHillman

Re: Stupid question

Post by SJHillman »

.txt is just plaintext, and is supported by every possible word processor (including Notepad). Word can save as a .txt, but remember that it will strip out absolutely everything that's not a character, space, tab or return. If you save it from Word, make sure you open it up in Notepad (or equivalent if on a different OS) to see that Word didn't output any odd characters or mess with the spacing, etc.
Isabelnewth

Post by Isabelnewth »

Ah, I see. Many thanks.

So if you were submitting an article which you had saved from word as a Txt document, would you be able/need to put all those features back in again?

Cheers.
SJHillman

Post by SJHillman »

.Txt is, by it's nature, completely unformatted so none of the formatting is saved. If you wanted to retain any formatting, you would also have to save it as a separate .rtf or .doc/.docx file.

EXAMPLE:

If I wrote this in Word:
"This is a sentence that I may have written in Word. It contains formatting, colors and other features."

And then saved it as .txt, this would be the result when I open it back up (in any program):
"This is a sentence that I may have written in Word. It contains formatting, colors and other features."