Unique vs. Full Rights

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

sleepydoc

Unique vs. Full Rights

Post by sleepydoc »

I've read through the FAQ and forums and found some answers to my questions, but still have a few.

1). Is there an expiration on unique licenses? I don't think so, but I'm asking if the writer ever gets that article back to resell? It seems like you should, but it doesn't seem to be so from what I can tell. When the article is gone on a unique license, it is gone forever; is that correct?

2). What is the benefit of pricing unique and full rights differently (by more than a few dollars, I mean).

3). With unique license, does the purchaser have to list the writer as such when posting the article? I could see that as a benefit to the writer and thought this was the case. Could the writer then use this article as a sample in their portfolio? Or does right that go away with unique licenses (I know it does with full rights)?

4). Is the only difference between unique license and full rights that the article cannot be changed if bought under a unique license, but can be altered with full rights? Is there something else I'm missing.

Thank you and I hope I am not asking questions that are too terribly redundant. I know these must have been asked before and apologize if it's annoying, but if someone could help me make sure I'm understanding this correctly, it would be most appreciated.
Celeste Stewart

Re: Unique vs. Full Rights

Post by Celeste Stewart »

Hello,
1). Is there an expiration on unique licenses? ...When the article is gone on a unique license, it is gone forever; is that correct?
Correct.

2). What is the benefit of pricing unique and full rights differently (by more than a few dollars, I mean).
There's not much of a benefit. If keeping your byline and content unchanged is important to you, then you might price unique more attractively than full rights. If you'd rather get top dollar and don't care if your name disappears, price it the same as full rights. However, I've found few customers go for unique.

3). With unique license, does the purchaser have to list the writer as such when posting the article? ... Could the writer then use this article as a sample in their portfolio? Or does right that go away with unique licenses...?
If you include your byline in the submitted document, then yes, the customer has to keep it and give you credit. If the customer doesn't want to include the writer's name, then the customer needs to buy a full rights license. If a customer credits you as the author under any of the licenses, it's reasonable for you to use it as a sample.

4). Is the only difference between unique license and full rights that the article cannot be changed if bought under a unique license, but can be altered with full rights? Is there something else I'm missing.
You're not missing anything. Unique can NOT be changed but the customer has exclusive rights to it. If the customer wants to make even the smallest of tweaks to an article, then the customer must purchase the full rights license.
sleepydoc

Re: Unique vs. Full Rights

Post by sleepydoc »

Thank you Celeste, for the helpful answers. I've been playing with pricing and sold one unique license for very little (with the thought that if it didn't go quickly, it might not go since it was related to current events- should have put a byline on it, but did not, etc.), but will now price unique very close to full rights.

I'm learning and really liking it here so far. :D