Commas

Not an author yet? Have questions? Post here!

Moderators: Celeste Stewart, Ed, Constant

FondRegards

Commas

Post by FondRegards »

Hi Everyone

I seem to have troubles with commas. :?

I welcome advice on this sentence; I don't know whether "published in the Journal of the American Medical Association" needs to be set off with commas:

A questionnaire-based study of over 25,000 participants published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found a higher prevalence of……

Thanks
JoyRCalderwood

Re: Commas

Post by JoyRCalderwood »

you might just want to move the sentence around. i.e. presently it sounds like the participants were published

maybe something like "a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, which questioned over 25,000 participants, found...

or make it into separate sentences so not so wordy.
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Oh! Yes I didn’t pick up on that, it did sound as if the participants were published. I went round and round with that sentence but couldn’t seem to straighten it out. Your suggestion really simplifies the problem.

Any suggestions would be welcome reagarding this wordy sentence:

In Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure, researcher and reflux expert Jamie Koufman, M.D. and New York Times “Top Doc” Jordan Stern, M.D. say, “An estimated 100 million Americans ... don't even know they have it.”

Thank you. :)
KinsleyRoyale

Post by KinsleyRoyale »

Not sure of the context of what you need but maybe:

In Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure, researcher and reflux expert Jamie Koufman, M.D. and New York Times “Top Doc” Jordan Stern, M.D. say, “An estimated 100 million Americans ... don't even know they have it.”

In the book, "Dropping Acid..." authors Doufman and Stern highlight, "An estimated...
FondRegards

Post by FondRegards »

Thank you. That really lightens it up. :!: